How to get sparkly paint... like a real bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
:lol:

I'm scoping out my next mod, and if I get my way on CL, I'll be getting a duzy!

Anyways, I'll be painting it, and I'm looking for somewhere or some way to get sparkles in my paint. I used pettite topside last time, and I was happy with it, but I'm looking for a little more flash.. cause it catches more fish.. dont you know.

Anyone know of a marine paint brand that has sparkles?

OR

Could I add my own? My uncle owns a couple collision shops, so I could possibly get my hands on the stuff they add to auto paint... but I dont know how well that would work with a thicker paint... any ideas?

Thanks

Those fiberglass boats have large metal flake in the gel coat.You will need some special equipment to spray metal flake but it can be done.Talk to a pro car painter.They can help.I have only sprayed fine metal flake and it can be a pain to get it to look even.

I'll have to chat with the painter at his shop closest to my house... too bad the guy is an as-never mind.

Sounds like it might be more of a hassle than its worth... thanks for the reply ben

Like Ben said, bass boats have it imbedded in the gelcoat since they are built from the outside in.

It can be done with automotive paint, however. There are a few "custom" cars around with the chrome wagon wheels that have paint jobs with enormous flake.

Problem is, I can't use auto flake because the boat would flew too much, and likely crack. I'd have to go some route where I'm adding the flakes to a marine paint.

And ahab, don't be jealous. I only ask cause I might actually be able to pull it off. If I'm painting the boat anyways, why not throw is some sparkles?

didnt think about that. if you have friends in the body business id ask them if they would spray it after you get all the grunt work done. im sure they'd have all the info on how much flake per quart or what not

I definitely will. If they can gimmie the specs to mix it, I can do all that myself. I'm pretty comfortable spraying, but then again, if a pro is offering, a pro would get to do it.

I almost thought about doing 3 coats in pettite red, and then finding out if there was a clear coat I could mix the sparkles with (that would crack ideally), and do one coat with sparkles, and one finisher coat. The tough part is just finding durable and flexible paint.

Im sort of looking for another type of marine paint as well. I used pettite on my last boat, and I was not impressed at all by its durability. I did two coats, so maybe I'd try three this time around. It just seemed that when it scratched and chipped, it was coming off down to the primer or aluminum.

I dont know how this wold work, I have never used it before and as you were saying about the boat flexing, you may have to add some flex additive Dont even know if that would work....

I have used a lot of duplicolor products on my bikes and they seem to do well. You just have to watch your temps and cleanliness..... very picky that way....

They just came out with a clear that has metal flake in it as well as they are starting to come out with pearl paints....

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

Id give it a try, but I'm really scared of the paint cracking from boat flex, not to mention car paint isnt meant to be submerged. If auto paint was an option, I could get my hands on just about anything for cheap from my uncle..

There are others here that have used automotive paint with no problems.

So long as you are not leaving the boat in the water for days at a time, I doubt that it would bother the paint.

I'm more worried about the hardness of the paint. I've talked to the painter (a long time ago) and he said it was a definite no no, as have people on this board. An all welded boat cant have THAT much flex, but if its enough to wreck a 100 dollar paint job, I'm out.

google INNATE.COM he sell old school metal flake, colored paint for the base, metal flakes and you can do them by hand in needed pack them down and then a couple auto clear coats, wit the flex additive.

https://www.innate.com/

https://www.innate.com/Paint/OSF/candyflake.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=old+school+metalflake&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GWYE

Well if you cant use auto paint then use boat paint, but mix the Glitter right into the paint as you shoot.
I say go for it. I want to see you cry when you land a big slimey fish in your brand new gaily painted fish catching boat!

Once when coming home from the lake a glitter boat passed me - the trailer alone was worth more than my whole outfit. Anyway, I decided then and there that someday I was going to give my 1236 a new coat of olive drab with glitter in it. If I could figure how to get dime-sized pieces I would do it. Who cares if the fish slimed it, I'd be stylin'.

Latest posts