Love Stick Steering but tough to turn port side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CarlF said:
Yep, you got it. Basically, the cable is too short or not set up right. WHen the motor is centered, you should have a enough cable to turn the boat fully from side to side. It may be that you dont have enough cable to turn to that one side.

Hmm, gonna have to take some pics and then you guys can tell me if that's the case.

Is there a way to put the steering through the other side of the motor so it doesnt have to go across the motor then back into the motor starboard's side? Basically, can I switch the threads of the steering, and flip the control arm?

I've only ever been around a buddies stick steer so I am not sure. DO you now the MFG of the control set? May want to see if you can find a manual online.

CarlF said:
I've only ever been around a buddies stick steer so I am not sure. DO you now the MFG of the control set? May want to see if you can find a manual online.

My controls are Tohatsu - the stick steer is EZ Glide. I am going to give them a call first thing tomrorow.

ober51 said:
I am using the steering on the portside, but the cable is going through the motor from the starboard side, and connecting to the steering rod on the port side, is this normal? Is it possible that I should have it not go across the motor and then into the steering hookup, and flip the steering hooking on the motor itself? Is that even possible?

The more bends you have in a cable, regardless how easy the bends are, will increase resistance. I'm thinking that if you put the cable on the port side of the boat it would be much easier to turn. My cable (non stick steer) have a total of 180 degrees of bend from the steering wheel to the motor. Steering wheel - 90 degree bend - down the STBD side - 90 degree bend - connect to the motor. How hard is it to use the stick with the motor not connected?

Popeye said:
ober51 said:
I am using the steering on the portside, but the cable is going through the motor from the starboard side, and connecting to the steering rod on the port side, is this normal? Is it possible that I should have it not go across the motor and then into the steering hookup, and flip the steering hooking on the motor itself? Is that even possible?

The more bends you have in a cable, regardless how easy the bends are, will increase resistance. I'm thinking that if you put the cable on the port side of the boat it would be much easier to turn. My cable (non stick steer) have a total of 180 degrees of bend from the steering wheel to the motor. Steering wheel - 90 degree bend - down the STBD side - 90 degree bend - connect to the motor. How hard is it to use the stick with the motor not connected?

I lubed up the rod arm, so I will see if that's it first, seems to turn a bit easier. Hoping its nice tomorrow, just dont see the weather being nice for several days, ugh.

I dont know how to change the threads for inserting the steering from the starboard side to the port side of the motor. I have to snap some pics, but I think the bends may be increasing resistance like you said. As of now its like an 'S' - port side, down a couple feet, across to the starbd side, then into the motor.

The steering seems to be a bit better, but not perfect. I think the cable is long enough, it's 13'. If anything, I will switch the threads to the steering to the port side of the motor. I think it may also loosen up a bit the more I use it. I was out there yesterday and today, I love the stick steering. I get a lot of looks on the water, and have yet to see anyone with this setup but me. I know I am slacking with pics, but my new blackberry has no camera and my gf had the camera I thought was lost, lol.

If you flip the arm, I am pretty sure it's going to make your steering backwards. This may not be a big deal to someone unfamiliar with stick steer but could cause a bit of a problem for someone that is.

The extra bend in the cable going from the port side to the starboard side, I suspect, is the culprit. Switching it over will make it steer backwards. unless your stick steer system has two openings for the cable. If it does then move the cable to the other input and change it on the motor and you should be good to go.

So how can you say the steering will be backwards after switching the cable connections around on the motor? I never once saw where he described which way the stick is pushed to make the motor turn in what direction. Maybe it's actually backwards now. The only stick steer boat I saw (and when I saw it decided I didn't like it) was at BPS and it was a side console with the stick steer on the STBD side. Push FWD and back to steer, not side to side. That being the case it would only be a matter of adapting to which is right and which is left.

I didn't catch where he said it was mounted so steer side to side. I only saw where he said it was on the port side. I guess I assumed (my bad) that it was set up to push forward and pull back to steer. If that is the case then it would steer backwards. If it is set up to steer side to side then it will either steer by pushing it to the left to go to the left or push it to the left to go to the right. Either way it would change how it would steer if he changed it at the motor.

I'm only trying to help this guy.

Popeye said:
So how can you say the steering will be backwards after switching the cable connections around on the motor?

Because it will steer backwards from the way he has it currently..... :wink:

Adapting should not be option #1. If a person that is accustomed to driving a stick steer boat were to ever take off in his for whatever reason, it would have the same result as you taking off in your console steer and having the boat turn hard left when you turned the wheel to the right. Nothing good would come of it.

He may have the whole thing hooked up backwards. Nobody knows because we haven't seen the pics. :lol: Most factory boat pics have the stick on the port and the steering arm is also flipped port side.

huntinfool said:
I didn't catch where he said it was mounted so steer side to side. I only saw where he said it was on the port side. I guess I assumed (my bad) that it was set up to push forward and pull back to steer. If that is the case then it would steer backwards. If it is set up to steer side to side then it will either steer by pushing it to the left to go to the left or push it to the left to go to the right. Either way it would change how it would steer if he changed it at the motor.

I'm only trying to help this guy.

Haha, you guys are all helping, don't sell yourselves short - I really appreciate it!

Picture me sitting in the middle of the boat - my right hand controls to the Tohatsu throttle controls which obviously controls speed and gear (F, N, R). My left hand controls the steering, the EZ GLide Stick Steering. THe stick steering cable comes out the back and crosses behind me, where it then goes to the motor. I want to switch the input for the stick steering on the motor so that the cable doesnt cross behind me, and just simply goes down the port side of the boat. As it stands, the stick steering cable makes an 'S'. Ive seen pictures of where this is the case, but in most, the stick steering goes down the port side. Check out how EZ glide measures, this is what I want it to do, mine goes across the boat.

**I added the picture, I want it to be set up like the black, but my motor makes it set up like the red, I am wondering if I can change the connections on the motor, not the stick steer**

Attachments

• Boat Measurement 2.JPG
    Boat Measurement 2.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,653
My cable is also 13'. so it's plenty big if setup properly. I go to turn the threads on the motor to change it, but it only turns about a 1/4", and then stops. I don't want to force it. I am thinking I might have to try, or let someone else look at it that know what the hell they are doing.

Popeye said:
So complicated... Glad i have a steering wheel

It shouldnt be complicated, thats the thing!!

I really like the steering, but if this doesnt work, i may just swap it out for a console next year. I have no problems fabbing one, but this seems to suit my needs.

Look through some "stick steer boat" photos on the net. The ones that I am seeing have the steering arm connection to the left.

You could be correct on that, Like I said I only saw one, that was about 3 years ago and was turned off by it so I never paid any attention to it again.

According to your picture if your cable is the red one and you switch it to the black one then it will steer "opposite" of what it does now. However if you do switch it at the motor there really is only one thing that you can do to correct it. That would be to move the cable from one input to the other input (if your model has this). As it stands now pushing the stick forward would push the rear of the motor (prop area) to the starboard side. If you moved the cable at the motor then pushed the stick forward, it would push the rear of the motor (prop area) to port. Therefore it WOULD be backwards from what he has.

Can you take a pic of the stick steer unit?

Didnt think to ask this until now:
When you push the stick forward, does the boat turn left or right?

Just looking at the boats, the cable for the stick steer shouldnt go across the motor then into the stbd side of the motor, it should go into the port side, where the black line is on the diagram. I need to figure out how to swap it to make this happen.

I dont care that the direction of teh boat would be switched, I have only used it 4-5 times and still get a little confused at this point lol. So thats nota big deal at all.

I'll get on the pics then we'll be in business.

Latest posts