Love Stick Steering but tough to turn port side?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't sleep. I've been thinking about this all night. If your not "used to" how it steers now then what you need to do is remove the nut on the steering cable (large one that goes on the steering tube) and then take off the smaller nut (usually a 9/16) at the end of the cable that attaches to the stainless rod. Then pull the cable out and re route it where you want it and put it back in the steering tube and hook it back up. It will steer opposite of what you had.

Meaning now when you push it forward the boat will turn to port and when you pull back it will steer starboard.

huntinfool said:
I can't sleep. I've been thinking about this all night. If your not "used to" how it steers now then what you need to do is remove the nut on the steering cable (large one that goes on the steering tube) and then take off the smaller nut (usually a 9/16) at the end of the cable that attaches to the stainless rod. Then pull the cable out and re route it where you want it and put it back in the steering tube and hook it back up. It will steer opposite of what you had.

Meaning now when you push it forward the boat will turn to port and when you pull back it will steer starboard.

Haha, I know man, it's frustrating. I know I can switch it, its just that the part that connects at the motor wont budge off. The steering cable is able to come right out, but the threads on the motor will not. I am going out to snap some pics oif the camera is charged and try and get this done.

ober51 said:
huntinfool said:

Haha, I know man, it's frustrating. I know I can switch it, its just that the part that connects at the motor wont budge off. The steering cable is able to come right out, but the threads on the motor will not. I am going out to snap some pics oif the camera is charged and try and get this done.

I cant get the bolts off to switch the sides. I feel like I am going to strip them. When I turn one side the other turns and the only place to hold so it doesnt turn is the threads, meaning I would crush them and then have no steering at all, lol.

Try spraying a penetrating oil on it. You should be able to hold the tube with a monkey wrench. You could take the entire tube out but that is a pain. Last ditch idea would be to put some heat on the nut. It should come off and then it is pretty self explanatory.

The company that builds stick steering has a "steering set-up" page on their website that shows the correct way to set-up stick steering. My boat that I purchased started off with the stick being hard to pull back, but after the adjustments were made it was soooo much better. ezyglide.com is the company home page. Once there look at the left panel for "steering tips" that's where the info is. Hope this helps!

roho said:
The company that builds stick steering has a "steering set-up" page on their website that shows the correct way to set-up stick steering. My boat that I purchased started off with the stick being hard to pull back, but after the adjustments were made it was soooo much better. ezyglide.com is the company home page. Once there look at the left panel for "steering tips" that's where the info is. Hope this helps!

Buddy, the last entry to this post was back in Aug 2009. But it is mighty decent of you to try and help the guy out!! =D>

Cheers

i just hate it.....no follow up.... wonders if he ever got it fixed...?

Latest posts