Ice how thick?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
We tried to do some duck hunting last weekend. We were running in to ice 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick and turned back.
How thick of ice would you take a 1436 Jon boat out in?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
We tried to do some duck hunting last weekend. We were running in to ice 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick and turned back.

The biggest issue I've run into is having enough boat to break the ice. As long as you don't over do it on speed, you shouldn't harm the boat. You can also add ice runners to your boat to localize the boats weight to two points. I've never owned a boat with them, but have been in a few. In their simplest form, they are just a piece of of angle running down each side of the boat that allows the boat's weight to be concentrated.

Just some general, off the cuff info concerning ice-breaking vessels: :) . Don't punch a hole in your boat.

"Breaking ice by any ship is not a case of forcing the ice aside as is often assumed, but occurs by the ship riding up and over the ice in front of it, with the weight of the ship then breaking the ice."

Info above found at: https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica fact file/ships/icebreaker.htm

I wouldn't be taking a 1436 out into ice over 1/4" thick.

Hypothermia is a nasty way to go.

We were riding up on the ice and having the weight of the boat breaking through. It was our first time out with ice it doesn't look like any damage was done to the boat or motor. We didn't want to push our luck just for some ducks.

sparkbr said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

The biggest issue I've run into is having enough boat to break the ice. As long as you don't over do it on speed, you shouldn't harm the boat. You can also add ice runners to your boat to localize the boats weight to two points. I've never owned a boat with them, but have been in a few. In their simplest form, they are just a piece of of angle running down each side of the boat that allows the boat's weight to be concentrated.
I found a picture of the ice runners on the Sea ark web site. They look very simple to make. I will check with my welder and see how much they will run.
How long do I want them?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
navybluejacket said:
Get a scratcher.
What's a scratcher?

I couldn't find a picture, but it's basically an outboard with a big steel wheel on the end of the shaft. The wheel looks like a saw blade and allows you to "scratch" your flat bottom boat across the ice. They are fairly popular around here, the trappers use to use them quite a bit.

navybluejacket said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
navybluejacket said:
Get a scratcher.
What's a scratcher?

I couldn't find a picture, but it's basically an outboard with a big steel wheel on the end of the shaft. The wheel looks like a saw blade and allows you to "scratch" your flat bottom boat across the ice. They are fairly popular around here, the trappers use to use them quite a bit.

found a pic:
ice-boat-1.jpg

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/fishing/bizarre-boats/ice-boat-1.jpg&imgrefurl=https://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~cvm/fishing/bizarre-boats/index.html&usg=__rMgheYRXLKKSDpBHCY-AHmcTWbg=&h=300&w=400&sz=26&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=mpo-m3CjUiOHgM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dice%2Bscratcher%2Bboat%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_enUS238US239%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
sparkbr said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

I found a picture of the ice runners on the Sea ark web site. They look very simple to make. I will check with my welder and see how much they will run.
How long do I want them?

The one's I'm most falmiliar with were on an 18'. They were about 6 foot long and started about 2' forward of where the bow flattens out, with abot 4' of runner on the flat portion of the bottom. Just enough to get a good portion of the weight of the boat up on the ice.

Latest posts