Steelflex

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also...I see that you can find Guvit for about $45 for a quart (which covers about 25-35 sq ft) and $85 for a gallon which covers 100-130 sq ft) plus shipping. I don't see the value in spreading it all over the inside of my hull where there is no potential for leaky rivets, and would only use it as a "spot" application on the rivets that are below the waterline. That said, I think a quart would do the job for me. I read that if the Gluvit is exposed to direct sunlight, it should be top coated with a paint etc..

Thanks guys. I sealed the rivets on the bottom with some epoxy from West Marine and have already painted it but wasn't happy with the paint so I ordered the Hunter Green from Cabela's. Should be in today. I think I am just going to put two coats on and that's it for the bottom. I don't want to over-complicate this process. I just want to fix up the boat and go fishing. If I keep ordering stuff, I will never complete it. Not sure if the boat still leaks. Don't think it should since I have sealed the rivets, primed it and painted it (soon to be twice). Then I will flip it over and re-seal as many rivets in the boat, prime and paint it. I don't have the skills, imagination and craftmanship that these other guys have on here so this really isn't a mod and don't consider it to be worthy of pics. I do want it to look nice and have it be something I can be satisfied with. This problem originally started when I bought a used boat and realized that two of the ribs were cracked. I took it to an aluminum welding shop to fix the problem, but when I took it out it was leaking more than it had before. So I decided to clean off the paint and sealant on the bottom and re-seal the rivets (should have bucked them according to this website) and repaint it. Felt like I got in over my head. Was looking for products here in Tampa and couldn't find what I kept reading about. So like I said, I think I have overcomplicated matters and am missing out on prime fishing weather here in FL.

New to the board with a question.

I have a 16.5' center console Klamath tin boat with a 50hp 4 stroke. I've tricked it out and have done a lot of modifications. I mostly fish the Sea of Cortez but do some freshwater here in Idaho.

I bought the boat used about 6 years ago and last year I started to get a few pinhole leaks and maybe a little pitting. I've had all of them, I hope, welded but am thinking of coating the inside of the boat to strengthen the hull and stop any further leaks.

First I thought of rhino etc. This will be under my floorboards so texture is not an issue. My concern is to strengthen the hull etc. After reading posts here on the board I'm wondering about using Gluv-it, Steelflex or???

Whats everyones thoughts? Thanks in advance...

AcuDoc said:
New to the board with a question.

I have a 16.5' center console Klamath tin boat with a 50hp 4 stroke. I've tricked it out and have done a lot of modifications. I mostly fish the Sea of Cortez but do some freshwater here in Idaho.

I bought the boat used about 6 years ago and last year I started to get a few pinhole leaks and maybe a little pitting. I've had all of them, I hope, welded but am thinking of coating the inside of the boat to strengthen the hull and stop any further leaks.

First I thought of rhino etc. This will be under my floorboards so texture is not an issue. My concern is to strengthen the hull etc. After reading posts here on the board I'm wondering about using Gluv-it, Steelflex or???

Whats everyones thoughts? Thanks in advance...

I'd make sure your electrical system isn't a source of your corrosion. If all of your corrosion is below the waterline, I would think Steelflex may be a good option for you applied to the outside of the boat. I don't see the value in applying anything on the inside if the corrosion is coming from the outside, but I don't fully understand the intracacies of tin boats and salt water either.

Latest posts