12ft Jon Boat mod finally finished!!! - New Member/first mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw2

Reaction score
After about 2 months of grueling stripping, sanding, sealing, cutting, nailing and carpeting, I HAVE FINALLY FINISHED!! I did ok about taking pictures in the begining but slacked off in the middle. I do have some pictures of the finished product so you can get the basic idea. Thanks for looking!

This is basically how I got the boat and trailer. At this point I had already started to remove the brown paint from tthe trailer.
DSCN0779.jpg

Stripping the paint off the fenders and frame of the trailer.
DSCN0777.jpg

DSCN0775.jpg

Trailer is near completion. I stripped, sanded and painted everthing as well as a new winch, new running boards, carpet, lights, wheeles and tires.
DSCN0792.jpg

DSCN0793.jpg

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

Boat before mod. The owner did a great job on the casting decks but the color just wasn't for me. Plust there was a few things i wanted to change. Replaced all 2x4s with 2x2s to lighten the load. Also decks were built using OSB and I wanted to replace with plywood.

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0781.jpg

DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

Tearing out the decks.

DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

DSCN0790.jpg

DSCN0789.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the actual build. It was freezing and raining most of the time and took everything I had just to convince myself to go out and work on it. Here is the finished product though. I tore out EVERYTHING. Patched every rivet with West Marine's aluminum epoxy. (expensive at $20 a tube but definately worth it!) Stripped and sanded and painted every square inch of the boat, rebuilt transom, all framing, decks and new carpet. Used piano hinges on the two deck compartments and built a carpeted lid/battery compartment. Lastly I added new posts and seats. I still have a few things I want to do such as wire for lights and add depth finder, but over all I AM DONE!! I love the finished product and had a blast during the whole process. Hope ya like it! Thanks for everyone's input. Thanks REDTAIL for helping with the decks and ideas for a better build!

DSCN0798.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0802.jpg

Looks sharp.

So did you sandblast the boat and trailer?

Thanks guys! Means alot! No, I never got to sand blast, the funding just wasn't there. :lol: Just alot of stripping and sanding. Got some aircraft paint remover like you guys said and it worked a heck of alot better than the standard stripper.

mangelcc said:
Did you use 3/4 inch plyboard???

No, I used 7/16. I was trying to lighten it up as much as I could. I was a little leary about using such a thin sheet, but the bracing underneith is pretty stout and it actually turned out pretty sturdy.

Is that a 1232 or a 1236?? I have a 1236 that I used 1/2 worked great. It started to bow a little after a year. Still pretty sturdy.

mangelcc said:
Is that a 1232 or a 1236?? I have a 1236 that I used 1/2 worked great. It started to bow a little after a year. Still pretty sturdy.

It is a 1236 Sears Gamefisher. Yeah, bowing is definately my biggest fear. I'm gonna see how she does with the weight in there now, and if/when I ever have to replace the decks, i'll probably go with some thicker stuff.

I just bought a 1448 that Im in the process of decking out. Im going to use 3/4 plyboard. Im going to sell my 1236 crestliner. Its been a great boat, I actually fished out of it today. It really does good with the 9.9 pushing her.

So u used aluminum epoxy to seal leaky rivets...I just bought some loctite marine epoxy, you think this would work good as well? I am very new to this restoring jonboats thing.

dyeguy1212 said:
marine epoxy is marine epoxy in that situation...
What do u mean? Sorry man, like I said I am VERY new to this. My very first boat mod. I don't know what peoples opinions are on marine epoxy. I have seached and seen all kinds of different ways to fix rivets. One way is to "rebuck" them and seal. I've seen others have theirs welded. I am leaning that way on two front rivets but I'm not sure. What do u think?

dixie_boysles said:
So u used aluminum epoxy to seal leaky rivets...I just bought some loctite marine epoxy, you think this would work good as well? I am very new to this restoring jonboats thing.

I'm really not sure man. This is my first build. I do know that the West Marine aluminum epoxy is some great stuff though. It can even be put on under water. Stuff hardens to metal basically. They say it can even be tapped for a bolt or screw.

Latest posts