12 foot extra wide aluminum Gamefisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkstarCrashes

Reaction score
Well I've been looking for a trailer for an old 13" Gheenoe I have been working on. That little boat has been a pain undoing all the terrible fiberglass work someone did to it and then laying it correctly. Anyway, I have been watching craigslist for some time looking for one and stumbled upon this yesterday at work. Made the call and $400 later, I have a nice little Gamefisher and a trailer. Gonna hit the river in it tomorrow for some stripers.

This boat I have decided I am going to fish as I work on it. The Gheenoe I went a little crazy on tearing it apart so this I am going to take slow, doing one thing at a time.

The astroturf floor was complimented nicely with astroturf on the sides. As soon as I got it to work today, I stripped that off and fixed a couple things on the trailer. I think I will put in new floors and replace the transom first. Then I'll worry about painting. I know decks on a 12' aren't always such a good idea but what do y'all think about a low front deck on one this wide? It's 42" across at the bottom, 48" at the top.

Sorry for the cell phone pics, I'll get better when I'm at home.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 6,283
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 6,283
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 6,283
Looks like a decent boat to start with, I wouldn't get to crazy with decking it except to maybe put a floor in it though. might find yourself in the drink, going any higher.

Thanks perchin. I gave it a test run on the James yesterday and I agree. I think I'll do a floor from the back bench up to the front and take out the middle. I'm getting a lot of inspiration from this forum.

Right now I'm busy with the aluminum epoxy putty fixing the crappy bondo job.

Well I got out the last three days to make sure it works. Turns out it does.

006-6.jpg

005.jpg

009.jpg

This morning it was taking on a bit of water though. Left the bass biting and headed home to get started on some tinkering.

Started removing some paint, under the silver there is a gaudy teal color, vintage Whaler-esque.

010-3.jpg

Decided to take the middle out, I will brace properly and add foam elsewhere.

023-1.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-2.jpg

The transom is desperately in need of a rebirth

027-3.jpg

029-1.jpg

The wood peeled right away. I have a piece of ply I will cut tomorrow and fit in. The aluminum plate has been hammered out and will go back on.

For tomorrow, my plan is to get the rest of the paint off the interior, redo the Bondo mess with aluminum epoxy, and replace the transom.

Great pics, I'm really looking forward to the updates on this project. I myself just got a 12' semi v like yours, 42" across the bottom and in rough shape. I go to pick it up this weekend and I can't wait to get some pics, look it over, and start my own thread.

I'm also looking to knock out the center bench and do a floor on mine.......I'm curious to know more about how you plan to brace the hull where that middle seat was. I saw Troutman3000's thread, and saw how he left the sides of that middle bench in and braced it, but I'd love to completely remove everything to really open it up if possible. Do you have any ideas on how you will do this yet?

Awesome Rick James, I was wondering if anyone on here had one. It seems like it's going to be a great little boat.

I am not quite sure on how I will brace the sides. The bottom I will do with 2x2's most likely. My only experience bracing has been with fiberglass and this is a whole nother ballgame.

I like Troutman's idea, I am planning on doing that up front so that I can make a little storage locker up front. From that back to the bench though, I want it to be flat, elevated just enough off the bottom so that I can put an equal amount of foam as I am taking out. The plan is to have a removable pedestal seat for when I have a second person with me. The basic function will perform perfectly for what I need on a day to day basis- one person standing up fly fishing and a dog riding shotgun.

Transom out

001.jpg

Take measurement, cut new transom. Glue.

002.jpg

Flip over the boat while I wait for glue. I have to admit, I didn't take it off the trailer to examine it when I got it. I was mostly concerned with the trailer so that's what I spent most of my time looking at. It was a pretty hilarious sight. No wonder I took on so much water yesterday.

Bondo

006.jpg

Roof tar over top of Bondo. Seriously?

007.jpg

008.jpg

004.jpg

Little too much pressure on the roller wheels:

005.jpg

Forget the wire wheels, time for the grinder with sanding pads

009.jpg

010.jpg

Two nice big cracks on this side

011.jpg

I hit all the cracks with a stick of aluminum epoxy putty I had. Wish I had a second on hand. After filling all the cracks and a couple of the serious dents and letting it harden, I put Loctite Weld over it just for additional protection. I plan on riveting aluminum over these spots eventually, but I want to fish it tomorrow and this weekend. I'll be covering the bottom with multiple coats of Steelflex as well.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

017.jpg

Peeled away some of the silicone that was added to slow down the leaky seams. Put some Weld on there just to see how it would do. Comparison shot

018.jpg

Put two coats of water sealer on the transom. Considered fiberglassing it in with 6 oz cloth but decided against it. I will coat it in epoxy eventually. It will go on in the morning.

012.jpg

Yet another testament to the damage roller bunks cause! Looks like you have your work cut out for ya. But if it catches fish who cares! Are those striper or what?

Yeah, those are stripers. They run up from the Chesapeake to spawn here, we get to fish them in town for about 2 months every spring and just downstream from the city in the fall for another couple months.

I need to go get some 2x4's so I can replace the bunks, that may have to wait until tomorrow.

Got a little bit done today. Been a busy day between work, changing brake pads, and trying to get some boat stuff done..

Put her back up on the trailer and filled her with water. The drain plug is, as I expected, the biggest problem. There was a section in the front that was dripping a little and a couple rivets at the back that needed to be fixed. Knocked that out, I'll go to Bass Pro tomorrow and get a new plug.

001-1.jpg

Had two cans of spray on bedliner I got awhile back to put on the Gheenoe but never did want to sacrifice the speed. Hit the inside with what I had, I'll pick up 3-4 more cans tomorrow I guess.

003-1.jpg

Got the transom in, plenty of 5200, a couple screws, and a strip of Gorilla Glue all around just until the 5200 hardens. I cut down the old jackplate and put it in.

004-1.jpg

Started messing around with a stringer. The floor will be 4.5 inches off the floor at the V, 2.5 on the sides. I'm keeping it low and will be filling it with foam rather than trying to do any sort of storage.

006-1.jpg

Looking good. I didn't realize they made a white spray can bedliner. Look forward to your progress. How big are the strippers you usually catch?

Yeah, they have it at the Advance Auto by me. You can order it as well.

We have a year round striper fishery here, school-sized fish are the average, 16 to 24 inches. There are always some big ones around as well, 40+ inchers are fairly common.

Nice update, you are really cooking......I'm really looking forward to your next updates and to see your decking done. I'm curious if you feel your slightly raised floor will brace the hull enough when your done, or if you will put in extra bracing somehow. I'd love to have a super open layout with no bracing taking up space, but not sure if the hull will take waves and a 5-10hp motor on the back that way.

My new Harbor Freight trailer will be here tomorrow, and I pick up the boat this weekend. Can't wait to dig into mine and start soon, I probably won't be able to make the progress that you are though. I promised the wife I would get our bathroom redone before I'd put any big $$$ into the boat, so I will probably be just patching and painting the boat and getting the trailer setup right for it until I get the honey do list done......... :?

I plan on putting in more bracing, don't know exactly how yet. I need to figure it out soon. Hopefully I can get the stringer finished tomorrow and at least get a piece of ply screwed on. The lady wants to try to get a striper or two tomorrow evening after work so I'll be able to field test it. Plus we are visiting family at the beach this Sunday and there is an inlet a couple blocks away full of blues, specks, and reds. I don't want to miss out.

I understand the honey-do's, mine's been swamped with work so I've been able to plug away. I do as much at a time as I can. I really haven't put much money out so far, maybe $35 in wood and another $25 in epoxy putty/ 5200. I'd like to get some Steelflex soon but have to wait for payday. I look forward to seeing your setup, I was very close to getting one of those trailers for my Gheenoe. Still might, need to research it more.

Latest posts