New Aluminum Floor in 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdub

Reaction score
Here are the pics of the aluminum floor in my 1648 Alumacraft.

OriginalFloor-1.jpg

OriginalFloor-2.jpg

Materials.jpg

Step2.jpg

100_8903.jpg

Step1.jpg

100_8934.jpg

Nice rig, I have the same boat but its much older and it was rode hard. Curious why you did not just go straight to the ribs with the sheet of aluminum?

Hi Howard

I will try this again, my last posts didn't come up
The reason I did not attach the floor to ribs is because I wanted it as flat as possible.

Sum-kina I am thinking about adding a 12" extension to the front deck with a flip top lid for more storage, for now I'm going to take a break because I'm sick off working on it and just want to burn some fuel and catch some fish.

tdub said:
Sum-kina I am thinking about adding a 12" extension to the front deck with a flip top lid for more storage, for now I'm going to take a break because I'm sick off working on it and just want to burn some fuel and catch some fish.

TDUB
I AGREE WITH THAT....NOTHIN BETTER THAN WETTIN A LINE AND ENJOYIN YOUR BOAT!!!
MY 1436 (PICS SOON) IS STILL IN THE PROCESS OF BEIN DECKED...FRONTS DONE, FLOORS IN AND COURRENTLY WORKIN ON THE BACK DECK, BUT WEVE HAD RAIN EVERY NIGHT THIS WEEK SO I HAVENT HAD A CHANCE TO WORK ON IT. BUT I ALSO WANNA REPAINT MY TIN BEFORE THE FLOOR AND DECKS ARE FASTENED DOWN!!!

I put in some stuff called tex tread mixed in with the paint for the first coat for some traction, then painted over that after it dried with only paint for the second coat.

tdub said:
I put in some stuff called tex tread mixed in with the paint for the first coat for some traction, then painted over that after it dried with only paint for the second coat.

my decks and floor are carpet but i was thinkin bout re doin the floor with aluminum at a later date when money wasnt so tight!

Howard said:
About how much for the aluminum floor?

depends on the thickness... but i looked into from a company my welding shop orders from (alum and stainless) and for a 4x10 sheet of 16 gauge to build my livewell was $95

Hey guys
I paid $120 for a 4x8x1/8 sheet of aluminum and $42 for the 2x1x1/8 aluminum "C" channel(16'). This was alot cheaper than I thought it would be.

tdub said:
Hey guys
I paid $120 for a 4x8x1/8 sheet of aluminum and $42 for the 2x1x1/8 aluminum "C" channel(16'). This was alot cheaper than I thought it would be.
What alloy was that? I can barely get .063 for that price, at least in 5052. I paid 198 for a 4 x 8 of .125, and the .090 (which I use a LOT of) is 130 (all 5052).

I am not sure about the alloy. It is not very flexable at all. I had to stand on the ribs as I fastened them down but it worked very well. As far as the cost goes, it could just be a location to location cost difference. I don't know, this is what it cost because I'm looking at the invoice now.

tdub said:
I am not sure about the alloy. It is not very flexable at all. I had to stand on the ribs as I fastened them down but it worked very well. As far as the cost goes, it could just be a location to location cost difference. I don't know, this is what it cost because I'm looking at the invoice now.

Could be a location difference, but that is a BIG difference. I know that my local supplier (which I am incredibly lucky to have about 3 miles from the house, and couldn't ask for better customer service) has the lowest prices in the area, that I've found (including Atlanta area). However, I haven't priced anything other than 5052 in such a long time, that I couldn't tell what they'd be. I do know that the 5052 runs higher than the 3003, but I think it might be less than 6061, at least with the T6 temper.

Maybe I need to start looking around a bit more for prices.

On a completely unrelated subject, I wish all the boat companies would build the ribs like they are on your Alumacraft, where they are mitered and welded at the corners, and not just bent. I imagine the cost is a bit more, but it is definitely a better construction method, for a multitude of reasons.

what'd you use for a filler in between the ribs? i really wanna do this to my 1650 but my rib width is 49" in the back wider than a sheet. so im kinda stuck on mine.

tdub, Kind of thought that was your goal (flat as possible) what was the cost? Considering doing mine also, similar boats. I plan on adding the front deck back 2 ribs also for batteries and storage and then maybe another foot for a livewell.

Latest posts