1976 Lund S-14 Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsgrog

Reaction score
This is actually a second modification since I bought my boat a few years back. When I first bought the boat, it was just a boat with three bench seats (four if you include the most forward bow seat). I added a casting deck, carpeted the seats, put my batteries in the center bench and added a few accessories here and there. After using the boat for a few years and seeing this site, I wanted to make my boat more "open" with a flat floor (sort of getting tired of getting my feet wet), rod storage, and other changes in the layout. So this winter, I decided to take the plunge and start "cutting away"...literally. So here are some pics of my work so far.

Attachments

• IMAG0006 (2).jpg
    IMAG0006 (2).jpg
    343 KB · Views: 13,478
  • IMAG0005 (2).jpg
    IMAG0005 (2).jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 13,477
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 13,477
  • IMAG0014.jpg
    IMAG0014.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 13,477
  • IMAG0013.jpg
    IMAG0013.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 13,477
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 13,478
  • IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 13,477
Almost exactly the same boat I have, mine may be a couple years older, only difference I see is you have a splashwell and mine does not. So I am anxiously awaiting more photos of how it turns out. Good luck with the improvements. I think I will definitely make storage out of my center bench for sure. Love to have a livewell too but that probably wont happen.
Tim

Thanks, bass. It's a great boat and has served me well.

Earl,
I'll be working on the boat slowly, hoping to get all the work done by April. I live quite a distance from where the boat is stored, so I could only get out there every couple of weeks and get a few hours of work done at most.

The splash well is really not very functional. If water gets over the transom, it will get into the boat because it's only a few inches wide. But the splashwell seems to be more structural. Not sure if your boat was supposed to have one or not.

I had the storage in the middle bench seat (actually that's where I kept my two batteries). I created a platform in there to make it flat so the battery trays could be secured. I did this to balance the trim on my boat. But after fishing with this layout for a couple of years, I just felt I wanted the boat to be more open without me having to climb over the middle bench to get to the front deck.

As for my current project, I'm still trying to figure a couple of things out, but at the present time I will be building side storage a small rear casting deck and side rod locker(s). I've been going back and forth about a livewell, but I think I will opt out of having one. I just don't see a real need for it. Rather I will have a couple of spots for coolers, one dedicated to put fish on ice and one dedicated for drinks. But I will get a better idea of the layout once I get the floor in.

I've been trying to "engineer" this thing properly so I don't lose any support. I have a '67 33hp johnson that I converted to a tiller steer for this boat. It pushes the boat well, but with that much power in the back for this small of a boat, I wanted to make sure that the boat remains sturdy and well supported.

I've been thinking about getting a Lund S-14 or WC-14 and doing a similar project. Mainly, making it walk-thru at the center bench.
My idea was to notch the center bench, like the Lund SSV layout (which seem to be tough to find used, while used S- & WC's can be found pretty easily). I would then make the sides storage. Possibly put in a floor.
QUestion:
Are you going to put the center bench back in? If not, are you concerned about the hull flexing in the center a/o not having adequate structural stability?

Love the boat and the open layout you are going for. I'd also be a bit concerned with the structural integrity. Also, make sure you add some flotation foam to that bad boy.

Carl,
Not sure how much power you plan to use, but the WC's are rated for less and have a little less freeboard. The s-14 is a great boat and very stable.

As for the bench seats, no, I'm not putting the middle bench back into the boat. But I will be supporting the structure of the boat with side rod boxes and storage that will span from the front bench seat to the transom of the boat. After I put the floor in, the side storage boxes will be secured to floor and to the side. This should maintain the lateral structural integrity of the boat and help prevent twist. When I get to that point, you'll see what I am talking about.

One thing, if you plan to notch the middle bench seats, I wouldn't cut all the way down to the floor. The bench seats also act as ribs in the s-14 unlike some boats where they just provide lateral support. If you see the SSV's, you'll see that they leave a few inches from the floor in the walk through benches. On my boat, the aluminum angle I used as crossbars reinforce the bench supports to provide for the lateral support.

Not sure if you saw this thread, but he has an s-16 which he made into a walk through (https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15212&start=0).

Ictalurus,
For flotation, I will need to figure that out as well. The volume under the floor will not provide as much as I'd like.

SOunds like you have it covered.
I'll only be running an 18 or 25 hp, so within the WC hp rating.
I plan to do it just like the SSV, leaving a few inches at the bottom. I would also put in a single solid peice of plywood all the way across the bottom to form the floor in the notch and for bottom of the storage boxes.
WIll check out that thread, thanks!

I like your boat and the project. It does look very similar to mine. From what I can tell, the S and SSV have more strakes than the WC. My S-16 is rated for a 40hp just like the SSV. Mine has plenty of strength now as I didn't really remove any support. I am thinking about removing the rest of the middle bench though. I'll have to unhook the support bars and see what the sides do. I can't remember what that felt like. I've thought about the rear bench and leaving the back panel for support and putting a seat on a post in its place. Then I'd just deck behind the bench. Or maybe I just want to split it and floor all the way back. My feet still get wet if I put them behind the bench, since I don't have a floor back there. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Yeah, our boats are similar. You might have a slightly wider beam. I was considering just putting in a walk through, but for some reason walk through's just didn't appeal to me. Hopefully I could get out in a week or two to work on the boat. I need to put a couple of more braces, but from there I will plan to cut out the floor and seal it.

The old S's and the current SSV's are similar. The SSV's just have more beam. I haven't seen an SSV, but my s-14 is built like a tank. Compared to the WC, the S and SSV has a higher freeboard and I believe a slightly wider transom, though I'm not sure about that.

hi im trying to add a mount for my trolling motor on my 86 14 ft lund and really like how yours is set up...do you have any pictures or insight on how to do it...thanks for any help

iamthepd, originally, I built a couple of wood brackets that I screwed to the hull. I had to drill some holes for this. But what I found as I took it apart was the one of the brackets started to crack. I think when I reinstall it, I will use the scrap aluminum I have left over and make brackets out of them and rivet them to the hull. Sorry, I don't have pics, but later I could try to draw what did or am going to do.

I did inquire about a trolling motor plate/deck on another forum on a similar boat. He had his on top of the aluminum rub rail and screwed it in with self tapping screws. I didn't like the aesthetics of it and decided to try to make it flush to the top.

I used thin aluminum angle brackets made from the bench seat I removed. You can't make them very long or they won't follow the curve of the bow. I think mine were about 4" long. I put my trolling motor deck just below the rub rail because I didn't want things to slide off into the water if set up there and I didn't want the edges of the diamond plate exposed. It's actually wedged tightly between the rail and the brackets to keep it quiet - hammered in from the rear and then riveted down. The carpet looks nicer, but I didn't want any.

That's what I was planning to do with the extra aluminum from my seats. I'll just cut and bend it to make new brackets.

bengineer, how long were your brackets?

thanks for the replys...my original plan was to just cut a peice of 3/16 aluminum and cut it to fit the top of the hull and bend the top and bottom about an inch in for added rigidity and mount it directly on top of the gunwale using rivets but i couldnt get a clear answer as to if stainless or aluminum rivets would be better or if they would be strong enough for a 55 lb terrova...and then to get rid of the rough edges i was gonna put some black rubber molding around the outer edge or just throw some carpet on there...ill figure the cosmetics out when i get there haha...

thanks again

It sounds like a plan. What kind of boat do you have? I have an older 30lb minkota and my deck was fine with the motor pulling the rig plus two guys and gear (about 1000 lbs total). I used 3/4 inch plywood. But one thing to note, apart from the deck being attached to the hull, I also attached the trolling motor deck to the casting deck with two small vertical pieces. Though I didn't do it for structural reasons, it did add rigidity to the whole structure.

So I was finally able to resume my modifications. What was intended as a winter project is ending up as a spring project due to lack of time and weather during winter months. Here are some pics of some more work I've done. I've gotten the main framing in and will soon be working on the decking. I decided to change some of the design. Will not have rod lockers after talking with some people who had previous experience with them. Also, the rear deck will likely be just a rear bench. Just easier and no real need for a rear deck. But that is still up for consideration.

Attachments

• Gas tank area.jpg
    Gas tank area.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4,435
  • Tackle Locker under bench.jpg
    Tackle Locker under bench.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 4,435
  • Framing.jpg
    Framing.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 4,435
  • Bilge Pump Installed.jpg
    Bilge Pump Installed.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,435
  • Bilge Pump Plate.jpg
    Bilge Pump Plate.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 4,435
  • Boat Floor.jpg
    Boat Floor.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 4,435
Got more work done the past week. I'm on the "home stretch. Hopefully I will get everything done by next week. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• front deck.jpg
    front deck.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4,263
  • Tackle locker 1.jpg
    Tackle locker 1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 4,263
  • tackle locker 2.jpg
    tackle locker 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 4,263
  • trolling motor brackets.jpg
    trolling motor brackets.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 4,263
I got more work done this week. Some things took longer than expected so it looks like two more days work and I'll be done...I hope.

All the top decks are only dry fitted and not attached (except the casting deck). They'll be attached as the last step after I get all the wiring done. But thought I'd give a decent idea what I'm planning.

Attachments

• aft view.jpg
    aft view.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 4,141
  • battery hatches.jpg
    battery hatches.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 4,141
  • Bow view.jpg
    Bow view.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 4,141
  • Chairs 1.jpg
    Chairs 1.jpg