livewell options for a grumman 1436?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott from NJ

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to this site and working on converting a Grumman 1436. The previous owner cut out most of the middle of the middle seat and had a rubber maid container for a makeshift livewell. What are my options for something a bit more permanant? I could try to find an appropriate sized rubbermaid container and drop it in and so a plywood lid or is there a place that sells semi custom livewell tubs that I could use a drain plug and install an aerator? I saw the one on here with the tub and am considering that but am open to suggestions.

Thanks Guys!

Scott

:WELCOME: Scott

If you get a chance, post up some pics of what you got going on. Livewells can be made from coolers, water tanks, storage bins, fiberglass, aluminum etc... All depends on your budget, needs, and what you want.

I used a 30 gallon cooler for 3 years tourney fishing.

Hopefully this helps.

vzc7kz.jpg

Hi guys,

I think I want to make my own livewell container. Can I construct a box of plywood (1/2") and encapsulate the whole thing with fiberglass resin and cloth? If so is there a special resin and cloth to get? I assume I could get it at a boating store or home depot? Does anybody have success with this?

Thanks

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure someone on here will. I've been curious about doing it this way. One thing to conisder, if you plan to make holes in the box for plumbing etc.... should you glass the holes??? or simply cut and seal the holes after you've glassed it.

Besides making it more permanant, what didn't you like about the rubbermaid solution?

I've seen it done before Scott... but they actually just used the plywood as a mold for the fiberglass. I don't know how they separate the fiberglass from the mold (that is one hobby I have yet to dive into), but it sure looks good when they finish. And they've got a lip around the top so that it just drops into the deck

These are pictures of the factory livewell in my Tracker 1542 with the lid removed. Basically it is an aluminum tank dropped into the middle bench with a lid and drain (I installed the aerator pump). If you know someone who can weld you could fab up the tank and lid pretty easy. Otherwise you could probably find a plastic bin or cooler that would fit the opening, cut a drain hole and install a through-hull fitting and then install an aftermarket deck hatch as the lid.

Livewell2.JPG

This is what mine looks like (original to the boat as far as I can tell), but may give you an idea of what is possible.

downsize-30.jpg

Latest posts