Baitcaster reel for beginners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooky1420

Reaction score
My brother and I have fished for several years only using spinning reels. And we love them. Lately, we've been talking about getting into some baitcasting reels. However, we don't know the first thing about them. Is there a good reel to start with up to the $100 range? Keep in mind, this will be more about learning how to use baitcasters than actually going all out and using them on a regular basis. I think it will be hard to pry those spinning reels from our hands. Pros and cons would be a big help.

Thanks guys!

My choice would be a Shimano Citica E. I have one and love it. I use it as much as my curados, chronarchs, and scorpions. Its simple, easy to use, reliable, and performs with reels that cost a lot more. Good all around gear ratio at 6.3:1. I also hear the Abu Garcia Revo S is a great reel for beginners. Either of these reels can be had for less than $100 shipped to the door off ebay.

Here is a review on the Citica:

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200e.html

I have to say Revo S. You may think you only want to learn how to use it. I was using mine for everything by the middle of the season

Nothing will teach you patience better than picking out a birds nest! :LOL2: I started using baitcasters when I was a freshman in high school, and have loved them ever since!

Last season was the first time I started using a baitcaster after years of spinning reels. I purchased a BPS pro qualifer on sale for 79.99, the price was right for me and the reviews were decent. I like that the reel has dual braking. Makes casting much easier without getting to many overruns. Most importantly is no matter which one you choose practice, practice, practice.

I love my BPS Extreame reels, but they can't hold a candle to my STX dual breaking system.

So my vote would be for a reel in your price range that has a dual breaking system.
The BPS Pro Qualifier......

I just started using a bait caster a week and a half ago. You most definitely want to learn how to use them there awesome, I just grabbed a walmart clearance Shakespeare 6'6 with 6:3:1 reel on it to learn and its an awesome rod & reel for 30$ also using suffix elite 12lb mono on it and this line is so far excellent and fairly easy to un-birds nest the reel . I will now be buying A NICE rod and reel setup now that i have become accustom to them and there benefits

nathanielrthomas said:
My choice would be a Shimano Citica E. I have one and love it. I use it as much as my curados, chronarchs, and scorpions. Its simple, easy to use, reliable, and performs with reels that cost a lot more. Good all around gear ratio at 6.3:1. I also hear the Abu Garcia Revo S is a great reel for beginners. Either of these reels can be had for less than $100 shipped to the door off ebay.

Here is a review on the Citica:

https://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocitica200e.html

I'll second the Citica, love it as much as my Curados
Couple tips when starting out with a baitcaster. First, buy cheaper mono till you learn how not to get backlashes
Second, untill you get the knack for using a baitcaster, keep all brakes on and tension tight...when you start getting the hang of it, begin loosening the tension and taking off a brake, 1 brake at a time
Third, before you begin to cast, peel off as much line as you would cast out...then place a strip of tape over the line on the spool, then wind in your line...that way when you cast, if you backlash, it'll only go as far as the tape
Good luck
Tom

I started using a baitcaster at the end of summer 2010...it didn't take long to learn at all and I love it.

Some tips: buy the best you can afford, as better equipment will cut down the learning curve. Lots of people go cheap thinking they'll upgrade if they like it or they didn't lose any money if they don't... IMO bait casters are one product where quality can really count (not price, quality)...so get the best you can afford.

I like the reels with an external brake control...that way you don't have to open up the reel every time you switch lures.

Start with mono...it's cheap and easier to clear up than braid when it's tangled in a bird's nest.

Braid tends to be slicker, so some of the "mono tricks" of clearing a bird's nest don't work so well.

Also, get yourself a couple of casting plugs, go to the park and practice...

I second some of Tom's advice:

Tighten the centrifugal control and set the brake to the tightest. Hold your rod tip at about 10 oclock and let the lure drop to the ground...loosen the centrifugal as much as you can, such that when the lure hits the ground, you still don't get a backlash...I'd start from there...leave all of the brakes on...and use a lure with some weight on it (or a casting plug). it's much harder to throw lighter lures.

And...read up online about proper casting techniques...spinning reels allow you to cast however you like...not so with a bait caster. Try pinning your elbow against your ribs while you cast (or very close to your ribs)...most of the motion should be in your wrists...that should help with the backlashes as well...

My biggest word of advice is to have patience. Your gonna have backlashes and other issues, just don't get discouraged and give. People are going recommend this reel and that reel, just get something you like and stick with. Shouldn't take you long. I found a couple of good articles and videos online about setting up a reel so that it is easier to learn. Spend some time readin and watchin some videos and then go do it. If us knuckleheads can do it, anybody can.

nuckinfutzracing said:
Spend some time readin and watchin some videos and then go do it.

A lot of what I am writing came from doing some research on the internet before I purchased my reels. It really cuts down on the learning curve...

I forgot the pros and cons:

Pros:

-Longer casting distances once you get the technique right (especially with heavier lures)
-You can use straight fluorocarbon without the handling issues you sometimes see on spinning gear
-You can use heavier line than many spinning reels are rated to use
-You can find higher reel ratios for faster moving baits (lipless cranks etc)...easier to "burn lures." Spinning lures do come in a variety of ratios, but bait casters tend to be great for burning lures.
-Precise lure placement when casting to really tight spots
-You can use your thumb to feather the line so that your lure hits the water with only a minimal splash (this can be done to some extent with spinning gear too, but it's easier with a bait caster)

Cons:

-Backlash: especially when casting into the wind or switching lures - if you don't reset your controls properly
-Backlash: clearing backlash can be a real chore with braid
-Backlash: if your lure hits anything mid-cast, you are almost assured a bird's nest. This is very annoying when casting from a bank and your lures gets caught in brush on the way out
-Casting lighter lures can be more difficult
-Dropping a lure straight to the bottom when fishing vertical presentations can be challenging, unless you have some weight tied to the line
-May not be a real con, but there is no "singing drag." So, if you hook something, but your drag isn't set right, you might not be able to set the hook properly or even know that the drag is loose...I usually pin my thumb to the reel on the hook set and then let the drag work from there. But overall, there's no audible indication that a fish is taking drag.

Those are all of the things I can think of off the top of my head...

The best advice I can give you is dont go cheap or you will spend more time trying to adjust it and pick out birdsnests than fish and you'll get frustrated and drop it. I have a friend who went through three shakespeare baitcasters before he just gave up and stuck with spinning. For the price he paid he could have gotten a decent baitcaster.

I use H20 Mettles from academy and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you catch them on sale you can get them for $25 a piece. I dont believe there is a better reel for that price out there. If your willing to go up to $100 I would look for a Citica or Revo S as others have said. See what feels better in your hand and go with it. I dont think you can go wrong with either one.

start off with some 14lb line, and throw it at a bucket in the yard, keep moving it further away, i started with 1/2 oz weight and went down as i learned. I wouldnt take it to the lake the first day, youll just make yourself mad. :) I only own brownings now, i have tried curados, to academy 25.00 reels, didnt like either.

I started playing around with one last year, I picked up a brand new vision slyder at a pawn shop for $25 (59.99 at wallyworld). Like everyone else says, practice and patience. You are going to get birds nest and backlashes. When I first started I took it out with my as a secondary to my spinning and would alternate between the two depending on how frustrated I got with the baitcast.

I bought a cheaper shimano last summer for my first baitcaster and there are some pretty good videos on youtube that helped me learn good luck.I only use baitcasters now for bass fishing

A lot of you guys are saying a Revo S is a good starter reel. I just found out my fiance's parents got me one for my birthday, which was a few days ago. When I get it out on the water I'll have to post some sort of "newbie baitcaster starts off with a revo s" story. My guess it will include a few backlashes, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I use H20 Mettles from academy and have nothing but good things to say about them. If you catch them on sale you can get them for $25 a piece. I dont believe there is a better reel for that price out there. If your willing to go up to $100 I would look for a Citica or Revo S as others have said. See what feels better in your hand and go with it. I dont think you can go wrong with either one.[/quote]

X2. The h2o is an awesome reel. $ 50 new. Don't worry about distance. Learn how to cast then worry about distance.

Latest posts