Making a split seat out of a reguler bench seat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tearemup

Reaction score
I want to cut the back bench seat to make it like a split rear seat boat. My thought is that by leaving the center seat it would still keep the strength , and by having the sides of the back seat still there like corner braces would help too. Anybody have opinions on this? Also does marine text stick to aluminium good? I've used on fiberglass but not aluminium. I'm new to the site looks very informative thanks for any info in advance.

Someone else on here cut out their middle seat center and added a brace at floor level just in case. That gave them most of the support of the seat and opened the middle for a walk through. If it is a ribbed boat, then I think you'll be fine even without the brace, but otherwise, I'd do the brace down low. That's just me.

Yes it is a ribbed boat. I think the back seat would be less crucial also. The middle seat has a livewell so I want to leave that. Thanks for responding

I had the entire rear bench seat removed from my '81 PolarKraft, and replaced it with two custom made pods. That gave me two places for dry storage for my gas cans and battery. Turned out really well, and I'm super happy with them. Didn't compromise the integrity of the boat either.

Latest posts