Looking for the longest lasting trolling Battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingfreak

Reaction score
I've had some great advice from this site and i just bought my first boat - a Lund 12' (wc-12 ). I've never bought a battery for this type fishing and need some advice. I know I need a Deep cycle and my Minn kota c2 55lb thrust electric says it should be at least 105 amp hour rating. I am also trying to go as lite as possible. The Cabelas AGM looks like a good choice but it is heavy. The optima is lighter but I can't find the Amp hour rating on them ?. I will be trolling all day with the Minn Kota and running a small gps/FF combo. Thanks for any help and I will post picks soon as I customize the boat for fishing.

This charts shows the regular Interstate and the Optima deep cycle specs.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/content/product_info/marine_f.asp

I am going to have to buy a new trolling motor battery myself sooner rather than later. Mine is going on it's 4 fishing season and goes flat long before I'm ready to head back to the house.

just remember that light weight and long lasting don't go together
the agm batteries are heavy but worth the weight IMO
if you plan on fishing a long day on the trolling motor weight shouldn't matter much
it won't slow you down munch on the trolling motor but will affect speed on a gas motor

I have been using a Wally World deep cycle up front for the MK 55. It is going on it's fourth season, I hope it lasts. All the other toys run off the back Deka battery. It is a starting battery too. I know they make a deep cycle too. I'd like to say I will get a Deka when the Walmart peters out, but they are/were $150-170 about 3 years ago. I have an on board charger and leave them in the boat all winter (michigan) plugging them in every few days. Good luck.

how long the TM batt lasts depends on the weight in the boat, the speed you want/need, distance, etc., but wally world TM batts which I use last as long as I want to fish on any day, and last 3-4 yrs for $80. That's about $25/yr +/-, pretty cheap, cheaper than gas anyway.

I buy the biggest I can find, 125 amp hour ones from fleet farm for 80 bucks. They will go all day with my 55lb minn kota old style troller. I keep two in the boat, one at the motor for starting and running some electronics and one on the troller and another finder. I can fish a two day tourney and don't HAVE to fight for a plug for the charger.

golfcart batts mounted in series is hands down the longest amp/hrs.almost double anything else. and made to be run down to almost drained.

I bought an Optima D34M for my TM battery. While bowfishing I once trolled 8 continuous hours and did not fully drain the battery.

DO NOT buy a Duralast battery!!! My Dad has gone through 4 of those in the past year!!!!

Latest posts