Baitcaster reel for beginners

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is definitely a higher quality reel then most starter reels but if you want to dish 125 you will have the easiest and smoothest reel I have casted. curado 200e7! never have a problem casting it and I can cast it a mile.. if you catch a birds next after a week of casting with it then your probally trying to hard! Cant go wrong with shimano.

I just ordered a Quamtum Aura reel. It is $40 and it is 4 ball bearings. It looks really cool i cant wait to get it

Hooky1420 said:
My brother and I have fished for several years only using spinning reels. And we love them. Lately, we've been talking about getting into some baitcasting reels. However, we don't know the first thing about them. Is there a good reel to start with up to the $100 range? Keep in mind, this will be more about learning how to use baitcasters than actually going all out and using them on a regular basis. I think it will be hard to pry those spinning reels from our hands. Pros and cons would be a big help.
Thanks guys!

I know this is a old post but hey. I am new also. LOL.

Actually I had the same thought as you about spinning reels. I was skeptical at first about going over to a baitcaster. Have to instill it in your head to learn how to use them. Now it is all I prefer. I like the lightness, the way you can palm it in your hand and you can get alot of torque when setting hooks.

I picked up a Pinnacle Solene SLP10, 6.2-1 ratio and 7 bearing system from walmart about 4 years ago to learn on. Rod and reel came to about $90. Everything on this thing is pretty smooth. Yeah I know, its not a $150 reel and rod, but it works pretty darn good. After playing with the magnetic brake and spool tension, I just started to drop it to the ground usisg thumb as drag. I wont use one if it isnt a magnetic brake, I dont like the idea of taking it apart to adjust while out and about. After I figured out how to cast it, I purposely started to make birds nest. Then I figured out how to undo them. Once you figure out how to undo those little boogers, you will never shy away from them.

I even won a bet with a guy at the local **** that I could undo a birds nest without cutting the whole spool. (Apparently it is the reason why he doesnt use them) It took me longer to undo the whole spool then to get the birds nest out. I took his 20 bucks and laughed at him. If he wasnt such a jerk, I would have showin him how to do it. Like I said, learn that part and you will be happy.

I personally feel you have more control over these. Maybe that is just me, but I have learned alot on one of these in a few years. You also feel pretty good when you learn the art, you can hold peoples attention when your out fishing. You can actually crowd them because there so busy watching you they almost dont realize your on top of them. LOL Just dont be scared to use it, dont give up, dont let people shy you away from learning it. Have fun and enjoy.

Tons of awesome advice given. The main point I would reiterate is practice and don't get discouraged! I now have 4 different styles of Abu Revos, after nearly giving up a year ago!

I ended up deciding on an Abu Garcia Black Max. Got a plug and practiced extensively in the yard. Bird nested it a lot in the beginning. Now much better, but still not great. My brother got a AG Silver Max. We both love them. Looking to get a Revo this summer. Going to keep my best two spinning rods for light tackle, but for the heavy stuff I'm going straight to baitcaster. Can't believe I held off so long just because of the challenge of learning a new technique. Currently have my AG Black Max on a 7 foot KVD Signature Series Tourney Rod. Colors of the rod and reel match up perfectly. I've only caught two fish on it so far, but one was a nice little 2.5lb LMB. Can't wait to get more fish hauled in with it.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I would prob say start with bps baitcasting reels because first there not that expensive and also if they break you can always return them within a year. Also when I started using baitcatsers I started with heavie line in the 17lb class. I think this heaverier line will help you get the feel. Also and if you get a backlash it won't be to hard to take out with the heavier line

Also note, when you hold your pole out in front of you up in the air, release the spool and the lure should slowly fall, not just drop. (Especially if it is a heavy lure) If it drops really quick, adjust your spool tension a little so it slows down. When the lure hits the ground the spool should stop. Its the knob on the same side as your handle and drag tensioner. Little bitty turns is all it needs.

When you get better and it will come quick, you can free up the spool tensioner and let her rip. I almost never adjust anything on mine when im switching out lures unless I go to something really heavy or heavy to really lite.

Beginner baitcaster, here, too......

I have a Pinnacle that is the shape of the Abu Garcia 6000......a round baitcaster.
I have been building birdnests in my yard for months with it. #-o

I can finally throw it around fairly decently in the yard. But when I get on the boat, it's like it's brand new all over again.

I have wondered are the low profile style reels any easier to learn with?

bt4264 said:
Beginner baitcaster, here, too......
I have a Pinnacle that is the shape of the Abu Garcia 6000......a round baitcaster.
I have been building birdnests in my yard for months with it. #-o
I can finally throw it around fairly decently in the yard. But when I get on the boat, it's like it's brand new all over again.
I have wondered are the low profile style reels any easier to learn with?

I have noticed when I thought I was ready to go fishing with my bait caster, I went to the lake and did the same exact thing. Way to many variables in there to say yes or no. However I noticed, when I was at my house, I really wasnt casting that far, maybe 30 feet. When I got out to the lake I believe I was trying to cast somewheres around 50'. Your mind is telling you that it doesnt look as far as it is since there is nothing there to compare distance to. I learned after that to mimic everything I did at the house. Light casting and not actually throwing it hard to get it somewheres. Wind plays a bad factor to. As far as the low profile baitcasters, that is all I have ever used so I cant compare the two reels, but I like the way they fit your hands and there not that heavy to hold.

Latest posts