Braided line sucks! I'm going back to Stren.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorback

Reaction score
I've never used braided line before. Picked up a box of 20lb Spiderwire the other day and went fishing this morning. I would have had the best day on the lake that I've had in a while, but the line snapped while I was reeling in 6 different bass. Four of them were pretty good sized ones too. It also broke twice when my worm was tangled up in some lily pads.

I know one of the first things some of you will probably say is that it was the knot. I thought it myself. So I tested that theory after the first two breaks by coloring the line with a black sharpie about 6" above the hook each time I had to tie on again. No black marks to be found when I retrieved my line.

I can fish all year with 12lb Stren and never break off unless I do it on purpose. I'll never stray again. I'm just glad I was using cheap plastic worms instead of a $6 crankbait.

Aside from it making for a bad day, I also hate that there's now 6 bass out there with hooks stuck in their mouths.

Rant Complete.
Out.

I do not use spiderwire but you must have had a bad batch - I am not sure about coloring the line, instead take your line and hook and stick the hook in a post - see if you can break it.

I use 10lb test suffix and there is no way I can break that line unless i pull straight back with no flex in the rod - and even then I often will just straighten the hook.

IM A MONO GUY MYSELF, HAD A FEW RUN INS WITH FIRELINE, NOT IMPRESSED, I USE POWERPRO FOR STEELHEAD BUT I HAVE TO USE A FLOURO LEADER

I use mono when jigging & braid when using plugs.

I like stretch in mono with jigs. I think I rip to many lips when setting hook using braided with jigging.
With braided one can usually yank plugs right out of snags. I have had hooks straighten before line breaks.

I agree... it sounds like you had a bad batch of line. I use Spiderwire braid 10lb test and the few times I have been hung up with it I actually pulled my boat over to where I was stuck before the line broke on me.

I know there's lots of people out there that use it and swear by it, but it's just not for me.

I will say that I did like how much more sensitive it was. But I didn't like that I could feel it dragging through the guides on my rod. It also rubbed my fingers raw from holding tension on the line while I was working my worm. I guess the sensitivity of it was the only thing I liked. That and it not holding memory from the reel spool. Curly line can be annoying at times.

atuck593 said:
I agree... it sounds like you had a bad batch of line. I use Spiderwire braid 10lb test and the few times I have been hung up with it I actually pulled my boat over to where I was stuck before the line broke on me.

THIS IS ANOTHER REASON I DONT LIKE IT ID RATHER RETIE A JIG THAN PULL THE BOAT OFF COURSE, ESP WHEN YOU SET UP ON A PERFECT DRIFT, BUT PEOPLE FISH DIFF WAYS THIS JUST SUITS ME BETTER :)

if its the line i would call em and send it back , maybe they would send ya new stuff . that braid is some tuff stuff. i'd tie to the fence post and yank the hell out of it . if it fails send it back.

I use a 8 lb P-Line. toughest **** ive ever seen. i swear the rod will break before the line will. have to cut it if you get snagged....no joke

Dont let your experience with Spiderwire sour you on braid, ive tried Spidewire and rank it towards the bottom of the list along with other cheaper braids such as Ugly Braid. Get yourself some quality braid like Power Pro or Suffix Performance Braid and then form an opinion.

BassAddict said:
Dont let your experience with Spiderwire sour you on braid, ive tried Spidewire and rank it towards the bottom of the list along with other cheaper braids such as Ugly Braid. Get yourself some quality braid like Power Pro or Suffix Performance Braid and then form an opinion.

Exactly what I was going to post :USA1:

just curious, but what knot do you use?
not trying to say it was the knot coming undone at all i was jw

Clinch knot is what I've always used, but I also tried a palomar. Like I said, it was breaking at least several inches above the knot.

Have you attempted to make the line break out of the water? Take a sturdy hook, tie your knot and stick the hook in a tree, fence post etc. Pull until something fails. If you have a good knot and unless your hook is super strong I would bet that you are able to bend the hook before the line breaks.

Have you checked the guides on your rod? A small chip or crack in a ceramic (ie glass) guide) will tear the braided line and make it weak

Let us know please

Captain Ahab said:
Have you attempted to make the line break out of the water? Take a sturdy hook, tie your knot and stick the hook in a tree, fence post etc. Pull until something fails. If you have a good knot and unless your hook is super strong I would bet that you are able to bend the hook before the line breaks.

Have you checked the guides on your rod? A small chip or crack in a ceramic (ie glass) guide) will tear the braided line and make it weak

Let us know please

Be careful not to break your rod if you do this. :lol:

I wish I'd have been using it a few times when I wasn't and my line snapped. It's great for topwater...which is where I use it almost exclusively....and powerpro is what I use too. We actually carry a piece of broom stick about 10 inches long in the boat to wrap around the line when we get hung up. It's been really hard for us to break.

Jim said:
Captain Ahab said:

Let us know please

Be careful not to break your rod if you do this. :lol:

Never pull with your rod - hold the spool and pull straight back or you can snap a rod

Latest posts