how much hardener to mix with Rustoleum prof oil based

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcid98

Reaction score
I'm about to paint my 1235 alumacraft and from what I've read here I've decided to go with Rustoleum pro oil based with a hardener. My question is how much hardener to I mix in with the paint? it sounds like I can get it from Tractor supply but there is no tractor supply close by... does autozone or Lowes carry it?

Also my boat has factory green paint so do I still need to use self etching primer on any scratched spots where it is bare aluminum?

Thanks

I have never known Rustoleum to use a hardner, but I am not familiar with the paint your referring to, so it might just need one. So I do not have an answer, but I would assume that there would be instructions on the can.
As for the primer, yes, I would scuff the paint that is stuck and would spray acid etch paint over the areas that are bare aluminum.

This is not my recipe but I was given this by a reputable source and is what I will be following in about 2-3 weeks:

2 cups (1/2 quart) paint (Rustoleum Professional)
1/3 cup Acetone or Xylene for thinning
1 oz Hardener*

Mix Off and On for 30 mins to let the hardener COOK into the Paint.
It will be ready to wet sand after 4 hours. Only wet sand with Scotch Brite pad. Paint will fully cure in 8 hours.

If you planning to use a low pressure gun, it should have a 1.2 or 1.4 mm tip. Pressure should be 40lbs. Start with low fluid volume and increase till you get good coverage and flow. Careful not to get to much or you'll get orange peel.

*You can use either Acme Finish 1 Acrylic Enamel Hardener sold at Advanced Auto Parts or Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener sold at Tractor Supply.

Latest posts