15 4stroke vs 15hp 2stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LonLB said:
I know this isn't what you asked jasper, but if I were you I'd forget about it. You just can't beat that motor you have on a boat your size. Those things are light, and ROCK SOLID reliable. In my experience. If I had a boat that size, that is the motor I would put on it.

I hear yah, LonLB. I was just curious about 4 strokes though. A new boat motor is not on my list of priorities now. Thanks.

Yes i would almost bet it would scoot that boat of yours jasper.Go to you tube and punch in 20hp 4stroke merc or tohatsu and a million videos will pop up so you can see the power it has.That is where i'm basing my opinions from.Plus i found a few people here who run 15hp 4strokes,so i would bet a 20hp would be even better.I don't know what speed you will reach but a guy in one of the videos on you tube has one on a extremely heavy wooden boat,cc he planes out extremely fast in the video and hits the mid 20's.

Not to shabby.You can get a brand new 20hp tohatsu from onlineoutboards.com for like $2400.They advertise it at $2550 but you can call to get the price down.That is shipping and tax included.I personally will go with the merc just for the fact the ratchet tilt will save your back from lifting the motor and moving a pin up and down.The merc has 5 tilt positions you put the tilt on what setting you want and if you want to start over you tilt the motor all the way up and then it will come down again so you can re adjust it to where you want.No other motor has that that i have found so far so that would be the deciding factor for me if i go that route.Plus it is a well built machine by tohatsu's plant,same exact powerhead as the 20hp tohatsu.

All the brands like i said seem to be bulletproof,i guess it comes down to features.The merc has an easy oil filter to change,all controls built into the handle,ratchet tilt,the best i have seen lower unit gear ratio,plus they are probally bulletproof if taken care of like any other motor.It all comes down to what features you want and of course the weight,my motor is a 15hp 2stroke yamaha (79lbs)compared to (115lbs) for the merc,big difference.My boat will hold it no problem but that little 79lb motor is hard to beat.I think i will put it up for sale to see if anyone comes to look at it.

Jasper i forgot to mention there is a guy on you tube with a short like 15 second clip where he has the same type of boat you have,it's a 1467 v alumacraft and he states he thinks he is hitting close to 30mph.He looks like he's flying,check it out and let me know what you think.

scoobeb said:
Jasper i forgot to mention there is a guy on you tube with a short like 15 second clip where he has the same type of boat you have,it's a 1467 v alumacraft and he states he thinks he is hitting close to 30mph.He looks like he's flying,check it out and let me know what you think.

Yea, I saw that video. That's a pretty light weight setup compared to mine, but the motor pushed it very well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFL5vR2F-dE

where have you guys been looking that a yamaha is too expensive? have you priced an e-tec lately?i have an 85 evi 9.9 and a 2011 yami 15,both 2 strokes,and the yami is really quiet compared to the evi.

Sorry jasper it was a lowe,my fault.basically the same boat as the alumacraft.Check out the 20hp tohatsu that pushes the wooden boat,i think there lady bug boats.The boat was over 350lbs by itself and the tohatsu pushed it in the mid 20's.

DanMC said:
It wont be long before all things two stroke (including lawn tools,shavers :D ) will be baned. Just te be on the safe side of the "future" get youself a four stroke Honda (Honda makes some of the cleanest burning motors period,it doesn't mater if it is a weed wacker,lawmover,shaver :D or an ouboard :D ) Honda knows more than a thing or two when comes to engines. Honda afterall is worlds largest engine manufacturer for a reason,and if you are talking four strokes...really nobody knows better four strokes than Honda, that is the reason Honda never made a two (primitive technology :( ) stroke motor for anything...at least consider a Yammy...but for the love of God... [-o<
Dan

What is this guy talkin about?? #-o :roll:

I'm starting to wonder that myself.Is he just a spammer because he seems to be in a ton of threads with some off the wall stuff.He talks about insurance and all other crazy sorts of stuff #-o

Man the more i do research for thie 20hp merc or even the tohatsu it seems like the way to go.The technology is like night and day compared to my 2stroke.Alot of people seem to be scared to buy a 4stroke because of how complex the system is.In other words when or if it breaks down more money and harder to fix.But i have to tell ya from the stuff i'm reading these little mid range motors seem to be bulletproof as long as you take care of them.I'm sure there could be a problem here or there especially with the fuel system,ethanol.

From some other sites i have just visited the word is these little mercs or any of the small 15 to 20hp 4strokes are bad a#$ little motors.I have watched a ton of you tube videos on the performance of different 15 and 20hp 4strokes,like honda,merc,tohatsu and yamaha they all seem to push a flat bottom extremely well even with a few people in a boat.I think what i will do is use my motor for a reasonable amount of time to see if it does what i need it to do.I don't need a speed demon but a motor that will hit the lower to mid 20's is plenty fast for me.I wish i had the money to just have both but money is tight now.That is why if i sell this motor i need to replace it with a 20hp 4stroke.I even think the 15hp 4stroke would do me justice but for a few bucks more i may as well go with the extra 5hp and the same weight.

If i find a killer deal i can't refuse then i will go with it but it must be an unbeatable deal on a new 20hp 4stroke.I have also decidedthe merc is the one i want to go after if i do this.

I have operated both the Merc/Tohatsu/Nissan and the Yamaha...15 AND 20 HP models.

The Yamaha 15 and 20 are the exact same outboard. The carburetor is different. So you can buy a 15 for a few hundred less, and down the road when you get tired of only 15 HP, you can drop in a 20 HP carb and you'll have a 20. As far as I know, that is the ONLY difference. Even the CDI and electrical systems are the same part #'s.

I prefer the Yammie over the Tohatsu. The Tohatsu is cheaper, however. And they're available WITH power tilt (not power trim) which is a nice addition. They are both excellent engines. I do not like the fact that the Tohatsu's shift rod that runs from the powerhead to the foot is partially exposed. Easy to bend speaking from experience. Also the Tohatsu is a little noisier than the Yamaha is, the foot is a little noisy on the one I've used. The Tohatsu also is slightly cold natured and has to warm up a little before the choke is pushed all the way in. The Yammie has always started without choke even when stone cold. The Tohatsu also vibrates a little more than the Yamaha does, but it's not a night & day difference between the two as far as that goes. Having dealt with both engines, the Yamaha spends a lot less time in the shop and the folks at Yamaha always are willing to help IF there is a problem (rare), oh and I must admit, they are also very professional. You pay a little more up front but IF there is a problem down the road, even if they're out of warranty, customer service is willing to assist in one way or another.

I believe the 15 and 20 Tohatsu are the same motors as well, though I have not researched them much. I know that Yamaha 15 & 20 are identical...even the cowling is the same (different decals). Same weight, muffler, exhaust, intake, head, cylinders, pistons, powerhead part #'s are the same, foot is the same, just different carb.

As far as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, the ONLY difference is that the 4 stroke has slightly less torque in the midrange. I mean SLIGHTLY. Maybe 1 lb-ft if you're lucky. They're both still the same HP. The only other difference, obviously, is the weight and that can be compensated for by moving the load around in the boat. Maybe going to a lighter battery or moving the fuel tank. The guys who hate 4 strokes are those die hards who use their boats for bulldozers in the flooded timber, and every pound is crucial. Also tilting the 4 stroke isn't as easy as the 2 stroke (weight) but if you unlock the tilt lock and put it in reverse, it will come up easily. I prefer the 4 stroke mainly for cleaner running and much better fuel economy. One of the holes I run to on a local lake is about an hour's run wide open. With my 25 4 stroke Yamaha, I can make it there & back on about 2 gallons. With my friend's 2 stroke 25 twin carb (25ESH), it's 6 gal. When we get back, the tank is almost empty. Identical boats Duracraft 1542's. His runs 28 mph max, mine's 27 but he's got a 9 7/8x12 prop and running 5800, where mine is a 9 7/8" by 10.5 running 6200 (I know...too much...working on that). Not to mention I can idle ALL DAY confidently with no smoke, no roughness, no plug fouling, no loading, and no roughness whatsoever. There is a river close to use where the launch is about 5 miles from where I fish, and the river is skinny and rocky with current and I have to idle those 5 miles as running at any speed would be destructive. I have a boat not a rock crusher.

Latest posts