What did I find?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what the heck I found in my yard? lol

its not painted, its very hard(i tried to scrape on it and no flakes came off) seems lighter than a rock and its very shiney in some spots. It looks porous on the surface.

Im thinking of some metal that may have been melted down but, its not soft again seems very hard. I found it by a spot that i travel alot so to me it just appeared.

my son thinks its a meteor lol
photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Looks like a "clinker" Leftover from burnt coal or smeltered ore - metals and such that are in teh coal and fuse when it burns

Look here:

https://star-bits.com/ID.htm

Could be a fragment form a burnt up satalite.....I guess it could be a Clinker but I don't think those are shiney...... question is "Do you have a dog?"

4. If the rock feels light it is not a meteorite. Stony meteorites generally have a density around 3.5 grams per cm3 and normal earth crustal rock is around 2.7 grams per cm3. In other words stony meteorites are about 30% heavier for the same size rock. The opposite is not true however. A rock that is denser than normal does not have to be a meteorite. There are many examples of dense terrestrial rocks.

5. If the exterior has sharp pointed features (except on obviously broken surfaces) it is not a meteorite. As meteorites come through the atmosphere any sharp points are melted away. As a result meteorites have smooth surfaces, although they may have depressions, called regmaglypts, that look like thumbprints pushed into clay.

I say - NOT A METEORITE - Smelter clinker from ore smelting

smelter_ore_titanium_162_small.jpg

I have some retired coal miners here at work and they think it's old smelt that's from a coal engine train, if so then it should be pretty old? Didn't they go to diesel engines in the 50's ?

FishingBuds said:
I have some retired coal miners here at work and they think it's old smelt that's from a coal engine train, if so then it should be pretty old? Didn't they go to diesel engines in the 50's ?
I'm thinking that it looks more like a weatherd lump of Anthracite Coal. My grandfather's place backed up to some train tracks and as kids, we used to find that stuff along those tracks all the time. This was in the 50's, but I'm pretty sure that coal fired engines were in service until the early to mid 60's. Is your place anywhere near RR tracks ??

Yea I'm about a mile away from some rr tracks, I bet maybe some past history owners with kids might have brought it home, kinda cool it maybe that old, I'll put it in the man cave some where

It seems that your town used to be a coal mining town. Is this place anywhere near you ??

Squaw Creek Coal CO
5511 New Harmony Road
Boonville, IN 47601

They mine anthracite and you might be able to get a definative answer from them if you were to call or stop by.

Latest posts