12ft. (11.8) 19?? Starcraft V-hull fishing boat mod.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ta' Beat-A-Banshee

Reaction score
Hey! So... I traded my non working dj equipment for this Tin junk boat i kinda got the crappy end of the deal but im trying to make light of it. Im trying to convert this into an all in one fishing boat.(Bass, Salmon, and bow fishing boat ext...) i want to put a fron n back deck and a floor, ive been checking out lots of posts here and decided to go with aluminum framing. Im trying to go as cheep and afficiant as possible, i figure if i can build it n save a buck its that much more worth it. Im haveing a super hard time stripping the paint ive used paint strippir wich is a frigin mess and doesent get the primer off and ive sanded with 40-80 grit electric palm sander. I plan on painting camo with stencils im makeing with my vinyl plotter. Hopeing when i prime i can over lay the vynal stencils and spray without peeling off the undercoats of paint. I was going to wait to post everything till i was done cuz im a man and i dont need no help lol. But alreighty having minor difficulties any suggestions will be very helpfull as i move forward. How do i post pics from my phone??? Thanks Terry.

Dig the work so far and the layout you have planned. You might look at flipping the rear seat mount and gas tank side-to-side. If you're using a tiller gas motor and don't have a funky manner of steering, because it looks like your layout will put the tiller arm near where the seat mount is.

Good call on putting the batteries in the bow, I've got a little 12' Sears of similar design, and it definitely needs the weight up front to balance it out.

Thanks, I think your right about the rear seating so i will flip them around. Any thoughts on a trolling motor? Pros and cons on placement? And can i hardwire my lighting straight to the battery?

Not to burst your bubble but that boat looks like a Meyers, not a Starcraft. (I own that exact same boat.) :|

Put the gas tank in the bow centered and place the batteries in sealed battery boxes and it will offset the weight of the motor and your weight.

Hanson im not saying your wrong but i broke off the old plastic starcraft emblems wich were rivited to both rear sides could have been an aftermarket thing? But either way it wont burst my bubble i could care less what the boat actully is but what in wich it will become :). And buddychrist thanks for the input are you suggesting i put both batteries and the gas tank in the bow? Or the batteries in the rear and the gastank in the center of the bow like oppisite of what i have the lay out would make more sence for the weight of the boat so thanks!

You can put both the batteries and gas tank in the bow, gas tank all the way up front and the batteries a few feet behind that.

So basically you could build a platform with a hatch for the gas tank and then a drop down step with a side hatch for the batteries.

The trick to V-Hulls is to get the weight evened out and the more weight you get in the boat the better it is going to ride and stability will be increased as well!

My 14' Mirrocraft is a Deep V-Hull and empty it's like trying to balance on a basket ball but with 300-500lbs of stuff to weigh it down it rides like a 19' SeaPro really grabbing the water at high speed and you can walk around at idle or completely still without falling over from no balance.

Thanks buddychrist! I will definatly take your advice, anything to make the boat more stable! What do you think about trolling motor placement?

As long as you have an outboard in the rear you're trolling motor should be mounted on the left side and drop just over the right!

If you don't plan on having an outboard you will need something on the rear in the water to create drag to keep the boat straight, kinda like a surfboard fin on the rear makes steering from the front while in motion possible by creating two points for drag.

Basically it's like a unicycle vs a bicycle

Yes i will have a 7 hs outboard moter and sorry if i sound stupid and ask alot of questions. So are you saying to mount the trolling motor on the front?

Yep mount the trolling motor on the front! On the left side where when you drop it in the water it rolls over the bow and drops on the right side of the bow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348694702.763592.jpg

This isn't mine but a photo example of how it should look. I know it's not a tin but the mounting should be in the same location

Next time just for understanding you do not remove the paint all the way to bare metal, you rough up the paint that is currently on it and then paint it with a zinc chromate primer and then pick a good military OD green paint.

Latest posts