1436 Alumcraft Fresh Boat Fresh Trailer (Fishing Video)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there im a new user of the forum, i have owned 2 Jon Boats and 1 Bass Buster boat and finally got the go ahead from the wife to get something new and build it up for this summer. This weekend i am picking up a brand new trailer and boat from Academy Sports i decided on 1436 because i go fishing in small lakes and rivers mostly. So far i have drawn up a sketch of what i want the boat to look like let me know what you think.

Plan is getting a 45LB front mount foot controlled minn kota motor for now and maybe later finding a good used gas motor(most lakes i fish dont allow gas)

I also plan on uses 2x4's for the frame work and 3/4" marine grade plywood and lowes or HD outdoor carpeting.

I am in the Army at Fort Hood so hopefully things don't get to busy where i can build it up pretty quick

Thanks again and let me know

487376_10101692178203792_979579163_n.jpg

First off, welcome from one new user to another! This place is awesome. My own personal opinion is a wider floor then 36 is the way to go because it is so much more stable. You could find a good used bigger boat and trailer for much less then you can buy a new 1436 and trailer for.
The enemy of small boats (especially 36" bottoms) is weight. So 2 by 4's and 3/4" plywood is going to really put a dent in your capacity. 2 by 2's and 1/2" plywood is plenty sturdy enough.
Good luck to you and have fun.

Hoosier x2!!!!!! STOP and Think before you leap........ You are not going to get the OK from the wife to often, so You have to make your 1st decision count. Try to go for something with a min. 42 - 44 inch bottom width. (for stability) After that you can modify till your hearts content (within reason). I just know you will not be satisfied with a 36 and it will be to difficult to change your mind later. Get what you know you will be satisfied with first and pick at the small stuff later. Good Luck, Dave

well i got the boat on friday and it looked like this
fdcb19b3-15e5-4fb7-9c58-3d5af9dc4314.jpg

And now it looks like this

20130224_163202.jpg

6a9a3422-20bf-425e-8c02-b28267c02dbb.jpg

4d351011-50d6-4bf7-920e-c6b2f73092f3.jpg

I will post pics i have of the frame work, i didnt get many of the front deck but i used 2 x 4's and some of the little joint thingys you buy at HD or lowes worked out great.

Also toggle bolts changed my life i have never done much with wood but wow they make your life easy... carpeting sucks so bad to do and watch your dog it will get in the glue .

Im gonna box in the front area where there is exposed wood and also i plan on making the left hand side console and a batt compartment in the back but this is where i got over the weekend

Let me know what you think

Wow, you work fast :!: I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish it... I'm always looking for new ideas :lol:

I have the same width of a boat... I am planning on making it one full deck. How did you do your first time out on your front casting deck? was it stable enough for ya?

few updates on the pictures from the build

69bc682b-a63f-4358-835c-6556405661cd.jpg

20130223_130849.jpg

20130223_102832.jpg

20130223_170717.jpg

sorry didnt get any pics of the completed deck framework i got to into it i forgot hope these help... It's super windy today so i cant do much but i am planning on parrelling my batt's and runing some wiring. I dont think i will be able to cut wood and do any more carpeting today or get to take it out for a test.

updates to follow...

Plan on taking a video with my GoPro on the test so people can see the stability of the deck on the water... Stay tuned

matt

Well i did a test run then a fishing run in the last 2 days.... Boat works great.

Stability is pretty good and was about what i thought as long as the 2 people communicate a bit its not so bad the boat will wobble a bit when the other person moves but as long as your not just hanging out you will be fine..... Fishing alone is ZERO issues

Here is a video of me walking back and forth on the boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gn2TBRZ758&feature=youtu.be

That was me just walking thats why i would say it looks a bit wobbling, also i wasnt really stepping in the best places

Today me and my friend went for 3 hrs after work and i leaned against the front deck seat and trolled around the entire time(windy day) i felt like it was perfect for small lake fishing

And here is a picture of the first fish caught on the boat, many more to come Feb. goodbye march here i come
447c19d2-1633-417c-abc8-a9a367c5e569.jpg

Also here soon i will be doing some updates for the little things i wanted to put on my boat: Wiring, cup holders, and pole holders stuff like that ENJOY!!!

I have been in a 1236 Alumacraft jon with 3 people standing up and fishing. It's doable. You just have to have people that are familiar with small boats and nobody can make any sudden movements. lol. Yours looks good. Not a bad first fish, either!

wingsnhammers said:
I have been in a 1236 Alumacraft jon with 3 people standing up and fishing. It's doable. You just have to have people that are familiar with small boats and nobody can make any sudden movements. lol. Yours looks good. Not a bad first fish, either!

I think that's the key having people familiar with the boat my wife went with me and thought she was gonna fall off.... my fishing buddy comes and it was like 10x more stable hahhahaha he was standing too and she wasn't :LOL2:

Man it really came out nice! Gives me a good idea of what mine will look like when I get done. I have a 1436 as well and have the same plans.

hardest thing was figuring out the front deck, make sure you figure out where your supports are below before you mount the front deck so you know where to bolt it down at...

Why not just lay your front deck on the bench and build a support over the center rib between the seats? It should straighten your deck, and you could drop some weight/lumber in the process. That's basically what I did on my short deck in the picture below.
Just a thought :|

Attachments

• 006 (640x480).jpg
    006 (640x480).jpg
    230 KB · Views: 321
never thought of it like that guess i did it the hard way... oh well

Well anyways i went out last night to my secret lake and got 5 2+ LBers and 1 4LBer last night and im made because i forgot my GoPro in my jeep so i got no videos :( today is a new day and im sure they are still biting.... more to come

matt

Happy weekend!!!!
fish2.jpg

fish1.jpg

I have too much time to think about these things... the ice won't start coming off the lakes around here for another 2 months :cry: Until then, keep uploading your pics/vids!

little short video of a fish i caught today filmed with my go pro..... sorry the angle was a bit off i plan on making a mount for it on the boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnf89O8_D30

Latest posts