Alumacraft 1436 LT Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltybob

Reaction score
At first I thought I’d look for a wider boat but now I think a 1436 would be just about right for me. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who owns this boat as to how they like it, pros & cons, etc. Also, I could use some advice regarding what motor would be best. I’ll be fishing alone mostly and not far from the launching place. Thanks for any help.

I don't own one (I have a 1648), but we do sell them were I work. A 1436 may be perfect for you. It all depends on your style of fishing and what you want to do to the boat. I suggest that you look at a 1436, a 1442, and a 1448 side by side before you make a decision.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360798#p360798 said:
saltybob » 24 Jul 2014, 09:08[/url]"]At first I thought I’d look for a wider boat but now I think a 1436 would be just about right for me. I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who owns this boat as to how they like it, pros & cons, etc. Also, I could use some advice regarding what motor would be best. I’ll be fishing alone mostly and not far from the launching place. Thanks for any help.

I too looked at this option. For your situation of going out alone most of the time, and not being far from the boat ramp, it may be ideal. The biggest drawbacks to a narrow boat is the stability, particularly for more than one person. Even with one person, you don't want to be getting too close to the edge or you could cause some instability. How's your balance? Whatever weight you do put into the boat, I would suggest putting it equally on the side, and this will help to stabilize the boat as well. Weight distribution is going to be critical in a small boat like this.

If you can afford to, I would definitely go for the 1448 as stability is much greater, and weight does not go up that much. The feedback that I've read has been pretty much unanimous that a 1448 is light years ahead of a 1436 in terms of stability. If you have the opportunity to test this out somewhere I would suggest it.

Either a 9.9 or 15 hp would push it along nicely. I've been very impressed with the Suzuki models as they are extremely lightweight for their size and have EFI in the 15 hp size, without the need for a battery. Everything I've read about them seems to be positive. I just ordered a 20 hp myself.

Best,

Troy

Only you can decide if that (or any other) boat is right for you... try it out before handing over your money.

A 1436 is tippy, but is a great little boat for 1-2 regular sized people. I fished one for a few years with a 25 Merc, and I personally liked it a lot, it really moved out.

I dont think theres any benefits of a 36" vs a 48" model, the wider models are much more stable. I don't ever remember being worried about flipping/rolling the 1436, but maybe that was just me.

A 15hp will move it along pretty good as well.

I have a 14 36 and it's awesome, built a front deck and it's really stable for me and my wife both 150-170 lbs also take my 2 young boys, I'm a bass fisherman so I stand up pretty much the entire time while I'm on the boat and I couldn't be more happy with it.

I had a Alumacraft Crappie Jon Jr and it was very unstable. Just walking around the seats tilted it pretty bad. I sold it and bought a G3 1448PF and there is a huge difference on stability. My daughter and I can stand and walk on the sides near port and starboard and don't have to worry about tipping it. With the 1436 we were always nervous moving around. I will never go back to a 1436. A 1448 also rides shallower than a 1436 so getting in shallower areas is easier.

The only real benefit a light 1436 has is if you are going to car top it.

Latest posts