Finally got my 12ft project on here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BtsNhoS

Reaction score
Hey guys, been watching this site for months now getting ideas and supplies to build my boat. I got an old 12ft jon boat from the Navy for free that they were throwing out about 4 years ago. Since a few months ago we had just been trolling around with a little trolling motor but now i decided to actually make a boat. The NUMBER ONE thing about this boat is that i did not want to spend alot of money since i dont have it. About 90% of this boat came from craigslist and including the motor, seats, trailer and supplies it cost about $500 bucks total. The first thing i did was purchased a trailer on craigslist for 100 bucks and i found a 9.9 johnson on craigslist that i traded a 42" LCD tv for, pretty good trade since i never used it and had a 50". The trailer is obviously to long for the boat but i will make it work, i got some new lights from Northern tool and im going to cut the end of the boat to make it fit, i also plan on adding some PVC pipe for guides...eventually. DSCF1953.JPG The inside of the boat is basic and i patched most of the leaks with JB weld on the bottom and on the inside. DSCF1956.JPG Next, i stole another guys idea, Bufford's 12 foot modification, (who i think got it from someone else) by cutting out the center seat to make a deck. This made ALOT of noise inside the parking garage and my apartment complex wasnt to happy, but oh well. i measured the area i wanted to cut plus an inch so i can fold the insides in, DSCF1971.JPG once the center seat was measured and marked out, i decided to make a change to the front of the boat also. Since about 6 months ago i have been in a huge drought when it comes to catching fish, this made me drink more beer while i fish so i decided to have a spot for a cooler...or 2. DSCF1964.JPG i wanted to make the other side a hatch for storage but i ran into some cutting problems and instead we just put the life jackets in it, or another cooler. DSCF1969.JPG after this i started cutting everything and making a huge mess. DSCF1972.JPG DSCF1973.JPG once the center seat was cut i bent the insides down so i wouldnt get cut. DSCF1975.JPG after this i cleaned the inside out and started sanded it and wiped everything down and started applying the first layer of rhino liner. I used about a gallon and a half and put on two thick layers, this took a really long time. DSCF1979.JPG DSCF1982.JPG DSCF1984.JPG DSCF1983.JPG next, i decided to add a 3/8" piece of plywood to the back seat, i used 3/8" for the entire boat which i polyurethaned first. It wasnt until i had the back seat totally on (when i finally got it in the mail) that i realized the center seat was way to high and unstable so i moved it, the picture shows it in the center but i moved it to the stbd side of the boat with a swivel and saved the 7" pedestal, so i would be able to swivel the seat i built a makeshift platform with the wood and was able to painstakingly attach the seat. DSCF1988.JPG DSCF1993.JPG DSCF1992.JPGonce i got the back seat on i added the wood on the floor and casting platform with the 3/8" platform and 2X4's. I forgot to take photos of the 2X4's that i put as a brace for where the center seat was; i ran four 2X4's about forward-back and also outlined the cut-out of the prior seat with the plywood, we then added the 13" pedestal with the seat. I used a 1.25" size screws to secure the deck and i used 3" screws for the stern seat and 2.5" for the bow seat. again sorry there are no good pics. DSCF1994.JPG DSCF1991.JPG DSCF1996.JPG after cutting my hand many times i decided to get weather stripping for any sharp cuts, after this i rhino lined all the wood and i built my own trolling motor mount using a 2X4 cut in half and a piece of plywood, this was also rhino lined. DSCF2003.JPG DSCF1998.JPG DSCF2002.JPG. finally after all this we did all the touch up for the rhino lining and added the carpet using .5" staples. DSCF2004.JPG and the final finished product...DSCF2009.JPG. the next thing i am doing is adding the steelflex, thanks to the info from Bufford's 12 foot modification, it should be here any day now and its the same color of the boat, i also have the fish finder installed on the back seat on the port side, plus there are rod holders on the starboard side with two mushroom anchors on the port so we can sit sideways on the river and fish. The titling and registration is in the mail and im waiting for my stickers to get back, unfortunately i am running into alot of trouble with my motor lately, im going to post some questions on the motor forums on here, let me know what yall think, thanks for looking.

yeah ive taken it out a few times, the motor keeps messin up though, i rebuilt the carb and put a new pull cord on it, but now i think the prop is messed up because when i turn up the throttle faster than idle it doesnt do anything but rev, i think the prop doesnt spin when alot of torque is on it.

Should be simple enough to test, put it in gear, pop the engine cover off and hold the flywheel while turning the prop. Shouldn't be any slip...

yeah i need to try it again, if it slips would it just be the prop or the prop+other pieces?

haha yeah i know, im going to cut the back of it (extra 2+ft) and i moved the winch back to meet the boat, but hey it was $100 bucks so i cant complain to much :beer:

I love the pic before you cut the back bench. 'Storage' 'Beer'. That's a proper jon boat. :beer:

haha thanks, steel flex is going on tomorrow ill get some pictures up when its complete

Your project looks great. In regards to your motor, did you hit something with the prop on one of your outings? It sounds like a broken shear pin to me, which is a really simple and quick fix.

no i didnt hit anything (i dont think) it just started doing it after a day on the lake, i will check it over tomorrow and tell you guys what i find

well my motor isnt fixed yet, when i hold the flywheel i can spin the prop with relative ease. is this a shear pin or something else? also, does anyone know where i can a repair manual for it? thanks

Nice Boat! =D>
+2 on the shear pin, they are made out of soft brass.
I had a twin, that if I accidently reved it up and then put in gear, it would snap the shear pin.
Easy fix though.

Love that first shot with the boat on the trailer. That trailer makes the boat look very, very tiny. :LOL2:

Great job...now go catch some fish.

well i just cut the back of the trailer so now it doesnt look as big haha, now my motor wont even start :( it sucks im sick of the thing. and i will message him about the repair manuals thanks

well i just traded my POS 9.9 for a for a 1986 johnson 7.5 long shaft. i took it out today and it worked out ok, but since it is a long it seems like im gettin some cavitation going on or something because it seems like the motor wants to go but cant, its not hittin anything, any ideas?

Latest posts