1960 Starcraft- Should I buy her?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvdad77

Reaction score
looking at this 1960 Strarcraft 16 footer. i'm new to aluminum boats but she seems like a good boat.. anything i should be concerned about. the owner has done some restoration work to her.. new floors, paint,, electrical. lights..

Would this be a good lake, river boat for me and my family (3 total).

Attachments

• Starcraft1.jpg
    Starcraft1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Starcraft2.jpg
    Starcraft2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Starcraft3.jpg
    Starcraft3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Starcraft4.jpg
    Starcraft4.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 12
Yeah it looks very nice but to me a 16' is more comfortable for 2 fishermen. If it had a front casting deck I might push it to 3 but that small tiller is going to struggle with 3. Personally I'd be looking for a 17 or 18' with a casting deck if you are a serious fishing family. If it's just for getting on the water than it may be fine. I'm guessing the 3rd is a child? Because 3 adults would be a tight fit in there. To be fair I'm a plus sized human so you'll have to make the call yourself if it would work for you.

looking at this 1960 Strarcraft 16 footer. i'm new to aluminum boats but she seems like a good boat.. anything i should be concerned about. the owner has done some restoration work to her.. new floors, paint,, electrical. lights..

price is 3500.. . yeh 2 adults and child.. fishing and pleasure ..

Price is reasonable, looks like it's been well restored and taken care of. Nice, albeit small 4 stroke motor. I'm just not a fan of closed bow boats for fishing.

I have a buddy that occasionally takes his family of 4 on the salt in his 14' Starcraft so size is subjective.

Not only is it small, but you lose a lot of that boat space with the enclosed bow.
I'd pass on it as space to move around can make fishing/exploring/boating more enjoyable.

That's an affordable fish catcher there and it looks like she's ready to launch so I vote yes on the buy!

I vote yes, with a lower offer. Yes, it's nice but in my neck of the woods a boat like that would be a hard sell and what you are doing is bailing him out on his project, which he seems to have gotten a little carried away with. If you don't care about bang for your buck and don't think you'll ever sell it, then never mind! You may well be looking for a bigger motor soon though, so maybe factor in a thousand bucks for something decent?

For basic fishing and some cruising in small choppy water (1-2' waves max) it will do fine. Not gonna ski or knee board but for a general use boat it looks great. Closed bows have pros and cons, loss of space yes, but added dry storage space a plus, only you can decide. Check for leaks-damaged rivets and for sure an inwater test. Nice looking boat!

I did not buy my boat inherited it. Did some wire brushing about three years ago and had to stop do to health reasons. This last year between surgery recovers and hail storms we are almost ready to paint. The cost of material to get the boat ready for the water has not been cheap. Looking at the boat in interest if I was you it would be sitting in my driveway already. Looks like somebody took the time and money to restore it. They did a nice job.

Well, did you scoop it up? Always nice to know the outcome of your intent.

Latest posts