1978 Grumman "bass boat"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldwood

Reaction score
Greetings everybody, this is my first posting here. I'd like to show off my first tin boat that I bought back in August: a 1978 Grumman 4.4, I believe they marketed it then as a bass boat. This came with a 1990 9.9 Johnson 2-stroke, electric start with deep battery, short shaft; a Humminbird Super Sixty "flasher" depth finder; running lights; a simple little 12v bilge pump; homemade plywood flooring; some funky PVC pipe fishing rod holders; and trailer. The boat is 14 feet with a 5 foot 4 inch beam.

vfduzp.jpg

124kb5j.jpg

Those odd pipes sticking up off the gunnel are the previous owner's invention for fishing rod holders. They are easily removed. They mount on a small end cap screwed to the gunnel.

x6frxv.jpg

The Johnson 9.9 with a 50lb thrust MinnKota. The transducer for my Garmin fish finder is mounted on the bottom of the MinnKota motor.

byeer.jpg

Master control helm console. Humminbird "flasher" on the left, Garmin fish finder on the right, all important cup holder in front. These are all mounted on a simple U-shaped pine board shelf that straddles the rear bench.

sgiqt1.jpg

And here we are going across Chazy Lake, NY, light wind, light chop. The first two times I took her out the water was flat, no wind, that little 9.9 got her up on plane at 19mph, very stable, what a fun ride!

You can see the end caps for the pole holders on the gunnel. I'm not sure if I like those or not, will leave them for the time being.

My future planned modifications include mounting two 6-inch Hereshoff cleats up near the bow; long black sponsons high on the gunnels for rub rails, because by myself I tend to bring her in kind of hard to the dock, and fenders are a joke on a boat this small and low; some black trim edge on the bow lip; a nice vinyl-lettering name on the back, I want to call her "Silver Heels", whaddya think?

If anybody has any background information about the 1978 Grumman, this model - what they called it, how they marketed it - I would like to hear it. Thanks for looking!

Don, Saranac NY

Thanks Matt! I'm in the philosophy of go slow until I see what I really need. I could see building a casting deck off the front bench to the bow. More importantly, If I'm going to be sitting out in the sun, I want a bimini top over me. That's an easy one to do.

To everybody, this is a very good forum, I'm very impressed by all the great information you guys have to share, boats, boating, fishing, whatever. :)

Don