Anchoring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livn

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m new to this forum, but more importantly, I’m new to forums in general. Please forgive any newbie mistakes. I’m 66 and getting arthritic hands so I installed an anchor winch on my 1979 Gamefisher bow. I have a mushroom anchor so the scratches will be minimal. I was told to toss your anchor to get it tight. Any tips for anchoring straight drop?

You can effectively do the same thing with the anchor winch. Continue to release line after the anchor hits bottom and allow boat to drift away from anchor. If it's a small tin 25ft is plenty in most circumstances but lots of factors at play( wind, current,anchor weight, boat weight etc) If you ever find the anchor is not holding bottom let out a little more line. After a little trial and error you should have a pretty good idea of hoe much line you will need not for the conditions you face. Some days straight down might be just fine if it's calm.

What is on the bottom can make a difference as well. Soft, mud type bottoms then most any anchor will hold, but when you get into hard bottoms like sand or stone/ rocks the mushroom may not hold as well. Generally speaking the more wind or current you have, they more line must be let out as mentioned.

My mushroom anchor did not work on the river where it's all rocks so I had to grab a heavier (20-25 lb) anchor which is able to hold in the rocks better. How heavy is your mushroom anchor, that may make a difference as well.

My mushroom anchor did not work on the river where it's all rocks so I had to grab a heavier (20-25 lb) anchor which is able to hold in the rocks better. How heavy is your mushroom anchor, that may make a difference as well.
I’m usually fishing lakes, 10-15 lb anchor

You need an anchor winch designed for a chain or have the winch far enough back to allow the chain to lay without winding onto the winch. Chains do help in holding but...on a small boat winch...probably won,t work. There is a small anchor called a "Chene" anchor that works well without a chain, but not designed to just drop down as they are very light in weight. They need to be "set" once they are, they hold very well and have a release system to make them easy to pull out. Again...it all depends on what the conditions your anchoring in. When I had my 22 Islander we would move all over the lake anchoring in various different conditions....I carried three different anchors to get the best hold when conditions were rough.

You can effectively do the same thing with the anchor winch. Continue to release line after the anchor hits bottom and allow boat to drift away from anchor. If it's a small tin 25ft is plenty in most circumstances but lots of factors at play( wind, current,anchor weight, boat weight etc) If you ever find the anchor is not holding bottom let out a little more line. After a little trial and error you should have a pretty good idea of hoe much line you will need not for the conditions you face. Some days straight down might be just fine if it's calm.
Gave this a try and stayed in place all day, landing 2 rainbow beauties!