Fiberglass patch issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty obvious he’s made up his mind to just glass over it. Interested to see how it proceeds as well.

Welp, I know half of you are going to say “I told you so.” No need though to say it. 😉

You all were right. Here’s what under the fiberglass patch. 😏

Now, this split is just on the keel, not the hull itself. I’ve included 2 pics of the inside of the hull it’s solid.

I’m a big enough guy to know I was wrong and many of you had guessed correctly that this is what was under the patch. But now I need to get this fixed.

I know most of you will say the only true solution is welding. Perhaps brazing? Or is this too big a seam?

Other options:
  • Hy-Poxy H-450 Alumbond Putty Repair Kit
  • JB Weld Marine?
  • West Marine MarineRX
  • G/flex 655-2Epoxy Adhesive
  • Something else…

Attachments

• IMG_8845.jpeg
    IMG_8845.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8846.jpeg
    IMG_8846.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8758.jpeg
    IMG_8758.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 0
That keel sure looks "attached" to me. My guess is that someone probably dropped it on a rock and there is a hole in the keel (but not in the boat). Not leaking as the keel is not part of the bottom of boat. Prior owner probably saw hole and "thought" it needed to be sealed. Who knows (till you get that fiberglass off) it could just be the drain hole in the keel which is designed to be there to get water out of it. I've had people see water coming out of it when they pull out and think it needs to be sealed, but it doesn't.
You get the Nostradamus award! 😉🏆

Looks like you he boat was dragged over rocks and gravel and scraped thru the aluminum strake. Had a couple on my Jon boat so I just sealed them with a clear roofing sealer, hut I only use it in my pond. If you can't weld it, then get a strip of aluminum and form it over and rivet it on. You could try to fill it, but not necessary. Actually it does not hurt a thing if just left alone. Fixing it would just be for appearance purposes only......

I agree, it looks like years of dragging to boat to the water.

You could clean and sand the area and use Water Weld epoxy putty- that stuff works great.
If you have a TIG or MIG welder, you could fix it that way, or find a local who could do it for you.
You could leave it alone, and it would probably be fine.

I would be a little skeptical of using fiberglass patch, but it might work just fine... but it might peel off after time, as you have already seen.

Welcome to Tinboats!

Have a piece of aluminum formed to fit over the strake and have it welded. If you use any of the listed products to fix it and it doesn't hold up and you decide to get it welded it will be a pain in the *** to get the aluminum cleaned up to weld.

If the look of it matters to you I'd hit the gap with a small ball peen hammer to bend the edges in a bit. Then get a tube of this and make the repair. They say it works when wet, but I'd make sure it's dry and knead together real good before applying. I've used this to fill holes before and still stuck 10 years later.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/epoxy-putty-stick

Never saw this when I got the regular (20 years ago) but apparently they also make one specifically for aluminum.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/epoxy-aluminum-putty-stick

I'd probably just haul it off to a welder. That's not a bad repair at all, welding in a filler strip would take an hour or so at most. Couple hundred bucks and it's fixed forever.

I don't have much faith in epoxies. They can work exceptionally well as temporary or "in a pinch" fixes, but not as a permanent repair.

I'd probably just haul it off to a welder. That's not a bad repair at all, welding in a filler strip would take an hour or so at most. Couple hundred bucks and it's fixed forever.

I don't have much faith in epoxies. They can work exceptionally well as temporary or "in a pinch" fixes, but not as a permanent repair.
What about brazing?

About the only issue to resolve on the Sears boat I recently bought is this fiberglass patch on the stern. Thankfully it did not cause a leak. Well…yet.

Suggests for how to seal the raised part back down are appreciated

Remove all the fiberglass and see what they were trying to repair. Then you have a good idea what to do next . Get it welded, JB weld , steel putty in a tube etc . Use something designed for metal . Not fiberglass. Good luck .

Based on my personal skill set, I would likely go the same way.

Looks like the previous fiberglass patch just popped right off. That was a good thing.
It was pealing up on the edge, and it didn't take much effort for me to pop it off like a dried up scab!

Latest posts