Gator Guards Keel Shield on Alum. Hulls?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Man

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering installing one of these on my new Tracker Pro Guide V16SC.

My local ramps are all concrete with docks close to ramp, and even the locations/ramps I plan on visiting (CO river) are also concrete with docks close to ramps. However, I think the added protection in a hull location that is common for scrapes/gouges, etc., may be worth the effort and cost.

I am aware of keel shields / keel guards on fiberglass boats, but apparently, it is possible to install on Alum hulls as well. The issue upon install on alum hulls is the center keel strake that is common on most alum hulls.

According to Gator Guards, not all alum hulls will work with their product application (KeelShield), but many will. Tracker and Crestliner are two that will work. Alumacraft and Lund are two that will not, as their strakes are larger and have sharp edges.

Has anyone installed one of these on their alum hull?
If so, how went the install?
How have the adhesion results been after install?

Thanks!

I don't have one but can see why you might want to especially if you're beaching on those concrete ramps a lot. I pretty much never do, so never thought to install one.

I don't have one but can see why you might want to especially if you're beaching on those concrete ramps a lot. I pretty much never do, so never thought to install one.
My reference to concrete ramps and docks nearby was to infer that I do not put boat on ramps...I use the trailer for all launching / retrieving. The keel guard is for added protection to a commonly scratched/gouged area of a boat.

I think all my boats have some ramp scars. Nothing major. The ole Starcraft has a "real" keel, made from seperate, thicker, aluminum than the hull. It is "U" shaped and has a gazillion rivets in it. On the newer boats, the keel is just a bend in the metal hull. :rolleyes:

I've seen the keelguards on tin boats, but never owned one.

Since the boat is new, maybe you should call the guard manufacturer and maybe Tracker and ask what they think. Might be a good idea, or it might void your warranty.

If I recall, a friend made his own out of aluminum a number of years ago. He buffed it with metal polish and it looked like a mirror. He's not around anymore, but that was the only one I've seen like that one.

I think all my boats have some ramp scars. Nothing major. The ole Starcraft has a "real" keel, made from seperate, thicker, aluminum than the hull. It is "U" shaped and has a gazillion rivets in it. On the newer boats, the keel is just a bend in the metal hull. :rolleyes:
My Tracker has an alum extrusion piece (strake) that runs from bow to stern.

Attachments

• strake1.jpeg
    strake1.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2
It looks like everything is out of stock except the keel guards and skeg shields.
That tells me they are in trouble as a business or at least not actively managing their website.

Latest posts