Good quality trailer to use for 16ft. Sea Ark MV

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loonatic

Reaction score
Good day all:

I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Sea Ark 1652 MV. I have used several Karavan trailers on other boats, and although OK, and I liked the fact that they were galvanized, they were missing a few of the niceties, such as larger wheels, steps by the fenders, and low ride height.

I have looked at a number of used trailers trying to find a good combination, but so far nothing has been quite right. I used to have a very nice factory Lund trailer for a 18 ft v hull, which unfortunately was stolen along with my Grumman 1449. Although it was a bit too long for that boat, it sat very low, had steps, just a very nice. unit.

Of course the other issue with a used trailer, is finding one that is sprung properly for a relatively light rig like I will have. I am planning on a ~20 hp 4 stroke, but otherwise minimal rigging. I am always out alone, often at poor or no ramps.

I have perused the postings on the trailer forum, and some ideas there of course, but would appreciate any guidance you might have.

Cheers

Randy

Sounds like you might want to look for a trailer that has a drop axle so the boat will sit lower on the trailer and be easier to launch/retrieve. You could probably retrofit one to a used trailer. It really depends on how much you're willing to pay for a trailer, you should be able to get the combination you want built, but it will cost more than a regular trailer model. I always try to get the tallest tires that will fit to keep the rpm's down to prolong bearing life. Here's a link to some drop axles to give you an idea. They also have a link to show how to measure for it.

https://www.easternmarine.com/3500-lb-Round-Tube-4-Drop-Trailer-Axles/

-

Latest posts