Has anyone used Azek Sheets for flooring projects?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning/mocking up a fishing deck on the front of my 12' tin and ran across this PVC / Composite material randomly.
Wondering if it's "strong enough".

I don't think I knew about this stuff until I read your posts. The sheets apparently are designed for residential siding.

Two things I would be concerned about are tendency to sag and how slippery the stuff is.

Your spans are not great. If you make sure it is well supported, sagging shouldn't be an issue.

My spectrum came with Azek sheeting. It worked... sort of.

Was rubbery, slippery, not great underfoot

A number of years ago I had considered using 3/4" sheets of the stuff for flooring in an 18ft Starcraft. My thought was that it won't rot, its naturally buoyant, and it could be had with a texture or grain on it. I went so far as to contact the company and I was told absolutely not, that it would not support weight.
However, 4 years later they came out with PVC decking that was basically the same stuff in 5/4x6 planks.
My guess is that so long as its got enough supports, and is supported on the edges well, and you use some type of UV protection, even carpet, its likely just fine. Its not like your going to sink if it fails somehow.
After using some scrap pieces for various other projects, even a set of rod holders, I'd even consider going with a thinner sheet of the stuff, just so the undersupports are close enough together.

I found a great deal on some 5/8" CDX...$25 a sheet. Grabbed a few extra in case I messed it up the first time {:>).

My templates worked pretty well. Once it was "close" I went in 2" from the gunwale and it dropped in pretty nice. Some of the cut-ins for the seat brackets were a little deep but I'm sure I'll need that little bit of extra room for the carpet to fit in those "notches". It will just sit on the existing middle and front seat with a little overhang in the bow; I won't be standing at the tip anyway and the deck is heavy enough to not 'tip' if I'm way up front. Next step, run a router around the edges (at least the top) so my "sealant" will adhere.

Any recommendations on sealant? I will probably be putting carpet over it once sealed so it doesn't really have to look "pretty"

Attachments

• Boat_Deck2.jpg
    Boat_Deck2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Boat_Deck1.jpg
    Boat_Deck1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 1
Soak it with Thompson's Wood Preserver/Waterproofer and let it dry. Make sure to soak all edges and cuts carefully. It works well under carpet, and handles the weather well.

I guess I'm too late perki, but I'm about to put 3'8" Azek for my floor, and two glued sheets of 3/4"for my transom. I've worked with it for years now, it behaves like plywood, it cuts like plywood, it routers better than plywood, it makes way more of a mess cutting and sanding, and yes it sags like plywood if not thick enough for what is supporting it. It paints better than plywood as well.

That is interesting. But in the past, Azek was much more flexible than plywood, not even close.

I think it's possible to use, but will just need a few adjustments.

The transom may be a little rubbery, but if you are using a very small or electric motor, it might be okay. You might be able to use some stiffeners to help, if using a larger engine.

It sounds like you are planning to use 3/8" on the floor? That seems a bit thin. Are you going to texture, paint or carpet it?

Every time I've seen it used, it sags and sets in that sagged position over time unless there are multiple supports, so you may want to use lots of angle aluminum supports.

It can be like ice when it gets wet, so you may want to carpet or put textured paint over it.

Definitely post a thread on your build! If this is what you want, you should be able to be successful. And maybe they have improved the product to be a bit stiffer, which would better suit your application.

That is interesting. But in the past, Azek was much more flexible than plywood, not even close.

I think it's possible to use, but will just need a few adjustments.

The transom may be a little rubbery, but if you are using a very small or electric motor, it might be okay. You might be able to use some stiffeners to help, if using a larger engine.

It sounds like you are planning to use 3/8" on the floor? That seems a bit thin. Are you going to texture, paint or carpet it?

Every time I've seen it used, it sags and sets in that sagged position over time unless there are multiple supports, so you may want to use lots of angle aluminum supports.

It can be like ice when it gets wet, so you may want to carpet or put textured paint over it.

Definitely post a thread on your build! If this is what you want, you should be able to be successful. And maybe they have improved the product to be a bit stiffer, which would better suit your application.
I did start a build thread, and I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll try and keep it to an Azek discussion. I run a 15 hp Johnson tiller and transom mount 55lb minn kota on this boat and I have no reason to think two pieces of 3/4" glued and screwed together would be a problem. We used the same thing on a friends boat and it handled his 35hp Merc 4 stroke with no problem. The 3/8" for the floor definitely would sag but I have 160' of angle so I'll run as many supports as necessary to stiffen it up.
This is my "beater" boat and gets most of its use in a shallow, rocky section of river. I figure the weight savings couldn't hurt. After months or maybe years of deciding on carpet, eva, vinyl, etc., I'm going to paint it and add a non slip additive for the floor. I do have carpet in my other boat and like it, but this boat sees a lot of mud and whatnot so spraying it with a hose or even pressure washer will be best. I can always get some smaller carpets or eva that I can remove.

Last edited:
I don't think Azek is any lighter than plywood, but you won't have to worry about rust. For a 15 HP it should work just fine, especially laminated properly, as you state.

I've used gelocat and paint a lot on boat floors. It works well, as long as it adheres. Hit the surface with a orbital sander and some 120 grit, and it should tooth in just fine.

Post the link to your build. Would like to see the project.

I don't think Azek is any lighter than plywood, but you won't have to worry about rust. For a 15 HP it should work just fine, especially laminated properly, as you state.

I've used gelocat and paint a lot on boat floors. It works well, as long as it adheres. Hit the surface with a orbital sander and some 120 grit, and it should tooth in just fine.

Post the link to your build. Would like to see the project.
I meant saving weight by going with 3/8" Azek and using more 1.5" angle aluminum bracing vs 1/2" or even 3/4" Azek and less bracing. Sorry for the confusion, my fault. I agree the Azek is actually heavier than the same size plywood. I haven't been able to get much done yet but check out the build. You've got way more experience working on boats, and your advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The weather is about to break a little here and it's time to get moving. https://www.tinboats.net/threads/its-time-finally-starting-my-77-14-seafarer-build-rebuild.51244/