Hopeful for advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skq914

Reaction score
Not sure what size to get. Looking to find a nice used jon boat. 14? 16? footer…was looking to buy end of summer or in the fall to get it set up for next year. Two adults and two children. Mainly for fishing smaller to medium lakes. I heard v-hull is best for stability. Semi-V? Again, just looking for advice as to want to pick one up soon. Ideally with trailer. Please reach out with anything that might help. thanks Sean

I have a Lowe 1448M and intend to use it alone or occasionally with a friend. It‘s about right for me on small lakes and some rivers. You should be looking at a 16’ boat or longer for your family of four. Width make a huge difference for stability as well. A 1636 (if they make one) would be a poor choice.

I have a Lowe 1448M and intend to use it alone or occasionally with a friend. It‘s about right for me on small lakes and some rivers. You should be looking at a 16’ boat or longer for your family of four. Width make a huge difference for stability as well. A 1636 (if they make one) would be a poor choice.
A 1636 meaning 16’ I’m assuming. But a poor choice? And I’m assuming a v or semi v? Width would correlate to length?

I have a 14' Lund; it's the one pictured in my profile.

Two guys can fish it, easily, as long as neither needs a lot of room to spread out. It is spec'd for 4 persons, but in reality, there's no way I'd do that. Little kids count the same as adults in the "max persons" spec.

In your situation, I'd go for a minimum of 16'. Shape of hull? In my view, that's dependent on the type of water you fish. Shallow lakes or back waters with a lot of obstructions to maneuver around? Then perhaps a flat bottom jon boat is the way to go. Deeper lake where you're liable to get more wave action or some choppy water when it's breezy? Then I think I'd opt for a v-hull.

There are plenty of times when I wish that I had a 16' boat, even when it's just me.

Coming from another family of 4 even a 1648 can get cramped fast with 4 people. If you don't want to go over 16ft look for a really wide one I think the widest I've ever seen is a 1660. What type of water you plan to be on most will determine best hull shape. A flatbottom is more stable at rest but will beat you up in a chop.

As long as the kids are smaller, a 16' will do fine. A flat bottom will give a rough ride in chop. I have a 16' side console, downsized from a 22'. Very happy with my 16' , easy handle two adults and two kids...until they grow up!! Would not go any smaller with your family.

Not sure what size to get. Looking to find a nice used jon boat. 14? 16? footer…was looking to buy end of summer or in the fall to get it set up for next year. Two adults and two children. Mainly for fishing smaller to medium lakes. I heard v-hull is best for stability. Semi-V? Again, just looking for advice as to want to pick one up soon. Ideally with trailer. Please reach out with anything that might help. thanks Sean

For a fam of four, I would get the longest widest boat I could get away with. I agree with others that 14' is simply too small for your intended use.

I could be all wet, but suspect just about all Jon boats that don't have flat bottoms are mod-V's.

Another good option for a growing family of four might be a pontoon/patio boat. Use it as a very comfortable and stable platform for fishing, picnicking, & swimming. I've never looked so not sure what the used market for pontoons is like.

A 1636 meaning 16’ I’m assuming. But a poor choice? And I’m assuming a v or semi v? Width would correlate to length?
Sorry, I could have stated that more clearly. A 1636 meaning 16’ long but only 36” wide. Regarding stability, width is as important as length.

I've had 2 14 footers and unless all 4 of you are fishing, I think 14 is plenty of boat. With 4 people fishing I'm not sure if ANY size is large enough. You don't want to be hooking each other.

I would also recommend the longest, widest boat you can get.
I've had a 1672 for a long time, and 4 people is a bit tight, but doable.

Recently I picked up an older 18' Starcraft Mariner-V that has been modified to have a side console. WOW, what a difference 2 feet makes! 4 people can fish comfortably in this one!

If you are limited, that's understandable, but if not, go for size. Pontoon boats are great, by the way, but are big to trailer. Once in the water, they are awesome. (Says a recent convert a few years ago) I bought a stainless steel countertop grill and it really adds to the day.

Fishing, swimming, tubing, lounging around, sleeping and then grilling up some fresh corn, dogs and burgers makes for a GREAT day on the water! I have used my pontoon more in the last two years than my Princecraft in the last 5. With friends and family, too, not just fishing alone.

This is mine used for the same purposes. Mostly me and anyone else I can get to go along. But have 4 grandkids and their accompanying parent of each 2 kids will go. Or grandma. For 4 altogether. Adult front and rear with grandkids in the middle. 16' long by 63" wide.

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_232110272.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232110272.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232018550.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232124225.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230304_232032498.jpg
    PXL_20230304_232032498.jpg