New Member From Tennessee

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken-Mold

Reaction score
My name is Nathan and one of my issues is buying boats. Lol

I'm normally a landlubber who doesn’t even like my feet to get wet but I love rowing boats. I try to stay on small lakes (even ponds) and then only when they are glassy smooth. I've owned several tin boats over the past few years and sold them when I tried them out on my pond and they failed my rowing test. My tests are done both solo and with my also normally landlubber wifey who just likes to ride in the stern and tell me how to steer.
My last rower was a '71 Alumacraft model A which I sold and have regretted it since. I love both how those are built and the fact that most models have double oarlocks for solo rowing and doubling.
I have found an E model (12', double oarlocks) that I may buy to ease the pain of selling the 14' A model.
I even have a '70s 15' Grumman canoe which I have removed the bow seat from and made a crude rowing rig for. I clamp the rig to the gunwales and sit on a seat in the floor facing the rear. I left the stern seat in so my wife can ride sometimes. In the attached pic it is set for solo rowing with my 8'poplar oars which have since been replaced with 7 1/2' spruce oars.
I refer to the Grumman as my "Silver Valium." What a way to unwind after a stressful day as the sun sets. The water barely makes a sound as it parts allowing me to pass. It's more addictive than drugs or alcohol with far fewer side effects (other than cost).

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_181358024_HDR~3.jpg
    IMG_20200613_181358024_HDR~3.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can't beat a canoe for rowing....in my younger days, I entered a canoe race, two man in each canoe contest. I rigged my canoe with oars, rules stated only two paddles per canoe. Needless to say my partner and I won by a long ways!! All kinds of strong wording was used after the race, but a set of oars on a canoe can be a rocket ship !!

Latest posts