Prop Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxstang90

Reaction score
Looking to get my prop right on my rig. G3 1448 with aluminum deck. 2015 yamaha 15hp 4 stroke tiller. Im estimating my weight at 600 to 700lbs. Stock prop 9.25 x 10p 3-blade was only getting me to like 4800 rpm's. Bought a solas amita 4 blade 7p and now im only able to go 3/4 throttle before hitting 6000 rpms and rev limiter. I went with 4 blade due to boat not planing well with 2 people, which the 4 blade fixed. Now im conflicted. Should i get the amita 3 blade in a 8 or 9 pitch and hope it planes well or stick with the 4 blade blade and go to the 9p? Thanks Motor- F15smha 6000rpm max

The reason it wasn't planing well with two people is you are pushing it power wise with that load with two people.

Xxstang90 said:
We dont have any prop experts that want to help!?
IMHO you need to be no more than 200 RPMs off the maximum RPMs with the load in the boat typically carried, plus you and ~1/3rd fuel on gboard.

I’d also never run a Solas prop even if given to me ... but that’s clearly my bias, as in 40+ years of fooling with and running boats I’ve seen a good one yet.

You need to try this:

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37433

Thanks Dale. I'm not sure the difference between f15s (mine) and f15c (the only model listed) but I think that got me the answer i wanted. Looking like a turning point rascal 9x9 3 blade.

Turning Point exchanges props, so you’re never stuck w/ one you can’t use. To me that is a HUGE bonus! But I have only used that once and it was on an ‘as/like new’ prop that I bought from someone else!

I’d suggest you re-run the test and select the option to have the TP Technical Support review the data. I have done this numerous times - to confirm (as you can ask “follow up questions”, like my hull is X and your calculator only had hull Y ... what does that difference mean to ME?).

In each case (have propped maybe 6 other boats using their tool & props in the last few years) we have ended up with the PERFECT prop for our rig & weight/conditions noted each time.

Wanted to update for anyone looking at this later. The turning point 9x9 3 blade aluminum is the perfect prop. Gets on plane very well. With 2 people on the boat we were at 5800 rpms doing about 17mph, with just me on the boat i was getting 5900 rpms doing about 19mph.

Latest posts