soon-to-be project 1961 AlumaCraft 14' semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkbilly

Reaction score
Attached are a few pics of a boat I inherited when my mom passed away in the Fall. It's a 14' Alumacraft semi-V that's a 1961 model per the title. At least I GUESS its a semi-V? I'm just basing that on the limited amount of poking around that I've done here. It looks like it was a nice little fishin' rig a few years/decades ago, but as you can see it's pretty roached now. I'm very inspired by the posts here and really looking forward to gutting it & making a nice rig out of it. I'm wanting to add a front & rear deck with pedestal seats, along with a rod holder running down one side and a compartmentalized storage area down the other side.

According to the paperwork that we've located, she had just bought it in June of '12, & then she passed away in Sept. She had gone to the DOR and got the trailer plate & hull stickers but never got around to putting them on. I've got titles for the boat & trailer. Also included in the boat was an old 6hp Johnson that started & ran great...with NO title. I do have a bill of sale from the guy my mom bought it from, as well as the bill of sale from when he bought it from the owner before him. Apparently this is gonna be a huge hassle with the Missouri DOR, based on what my internet research is telling me.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    994.2 KB · Views: 910
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    972.1 KB · Views: 910
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 910
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    941 KB · Views: 910
Sorry about your mom. Looks like she left you a nice little project to turn into a gem. Take your time and plan, plan, plan. This site is FULL of ideas and help. Good luck to you

Hey, Billy; really sorry to her about your mom passing, but you came to the right place for advice on your tin. Welcome! WIth regard to ownership of the boat, you should check with your family attorney. Your mom must have had a title for the boat and trailer since she got a license and hull tags. You may simply be able to document a transfer through the estate. At the least that will be a solid starting point for moving forward. You will not need a title for the motor, though you should document your ownership (again through the estate). I think it is critical to get this done early in the process, and before you devote too much time and money to the tin. I know a number of states make title transfers equivalent to Mission Impossible. But I encourage you to pay a personal visit to the relevant state office or go to the state web site and get a formal documented list of requirements. At least you will have a better understanding of the process and, as one of the tinboats.net family said, a better idea of when your head will explode. I am sure the boat renovation will be a fun project and worth the effort. We're glad you are here.
Rick

Sorry to hear about your mom. Looks like a great boat. It actually looks like my alumacraft 14ft FD with seats removed already. I have a few post on that I started a mod on. I really mod it to be able to fish with my son and brother but a lot of memories will be made with my father. they are great boats! have fun with it

I should've been more clear on that part. She had registered the boat and trailer and listed me as TOD on them, so I just need to bring a death certificate back to DOR with me tomorrow & that will take care of getting the registration transferred to my name. But apparently the guy had been running the boat with the unregistered motor on it, and from what I can gather from the MO DOR website that's a no-no

DOR page pertaining to boat/motor registration

and thank you all for the condolences. Her death was quite unexpected & it turns out that she knew she was in really bad shape and chose to keep that confidential. I don't know if me knowing that she'd been given X months to live as soon as she'd found out would've made it better or worse, or easier or harder, or whatever. Instead it was "can you give me a ride to the doctor? I really don't feel very well" on Aug 15, followed by 15 days of hospitalization & then 2 days of being sent home to die. She loved the outdoors, loved camping, loved boating. We'd just gone camping in July & were constantly planning our annual Labor Day weekend family reunion/camping trip, and instead she died Labor Day weekend and we were spreading her ashes in our favorite little cove the following weekend.

That is good news, you are in solid shape on the boat and trailer. When you are executing the transfer, get yourself the infamous Form 93, and two copies of everything else they say you need. The bad new is that this process is regulated by the Dept. of REVENUE... Nonetheless, I remain blindly confident you can complete the motor registration and title given your existing documentation. Again, take care, you have some great memories to treasure.

not very much accomplished today with the limited play-time I had, but in the interest of keeping a decent "journal" of this project's progress, here's a couple more pics. Gotta cut out & remove all the old wiring & the other little miscellaneous trays & stuff, then I'll be ready for a good powerwashing.

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    946.2 KB · Views: 816
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    975.5 KB · Views: 816
got it totally stripped out & rough spots sanded. Gonna haul it out to a buddy of mine & he's gonna give it a paint job, hopefully within the next week. Using the Rust-Oleum Topside paint, bottom half will be battleship gray & top half bright red.

I have nearly the same boat and I'm going to be working on mine in the near future. The boat I have is an Alumacraft FD 14' semi-v. I don't recall what year it is right now. The boat has been in my family for over 30 years and I want to keep it but make it mine at the same time. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your build. I will be starting my own thread on here soon. Look for it in the bear future.

ozarkbilly said:
got it totally stripped out & rough spots sanded. Gonna haul it out to a buddy of mine & he's gonna give it a paint job, hopefully within the next week. Using the Rust-Oleum Topside paint, bottom half will be battleship gray & top half bright red.

Great! I love the color scheme.

Latest posts