Barking dog help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
My lab has gotten a bad habbit of barking at everything lately. Most of the time she barks at our Mexican neighbors who are constantly comming and going all night when she is in her pen. The pen is a 15x30' tied into the back of the house with all the Mexicans place maybe 50' from the pen.

Yall got any tips of how I should go about teaching her that barking is a no no..?

I have a few elderly neighbors and I want to fix this before it becomes a problem and people start complaining.

I'm no dog trainer.. should I go and scold her while she's barking? Shock collar? Boot up the rear? Tape her lips shut? Call the dog whisperer? Lol thanks for any advise

as funny as the boot to the rear and tape is.. I strongly suggest a bark collar that triggers from barking, i had one that would beep first then if the dog kept barking it would shock them. My bark collar has worked on my dog's that have needed it in the past, the collar is currently at my brothers and on his new dog.. and it is working!!

After my dogs learned the word collar.. as in shock.. shut up..etc.. i was able to take a sock and tie it around there neck and they would instantly stop barking. I have also removed the batteries and after they learn it works wonders.. with no juice :)

Good luck man..

Thanks bud, any particular collers in general? I looked at one at tractor supply but can't rember the brand name for the life of me

I must say logger . . . you are probably the first dog owner I have heard of that is concerned about the effects of barking dogs on neighbors. Most of the ones I have encountered seem to figure the "rights" of their dogs have precedence.
One gold star for you!

I highly recommend a 'Tritronics Bark Limiter' collar. I have one for my Cavalier that I purchased from Gundogsupply.com for $99 and it is awesome. Tritronics is the #1 name in electronic collars and MADE IN USA. I tried the pet store brands first and they are inconsistant and ineffective at best! (very frustrating lesson learned). Read up on the Bark limiter and I think you will be sold..I am. Good luck, Ken

Loggerhead - Yes the bark collars do work and I would recommend them if warranted.

I do understand that you don't want your dog barking all the time, but is she just barking or is she barking at something. If the people living next door are doing something to cause the barking and I am not just saying coming home or what ever - maybe she has some concern about their activity.

I can tell when my bulls are just barking or barking for a reason.

If she is just barking the collars work great but if she is barking for a reason I would find the reason and put a collar on them or it.

Anyways I hope it all works out for you.

JMHO

Pat - I refuse to be " that " neighbor ! Lol

Ken - thanks bud ill check it out

Fish - its definately a give me attention bark, especially bad when she is locked in her pen. I think its that everytime she sees people she thinks it's play time and gets all revved up.

Agree totally with the bark collar. I have no personal experience with it, but then again...I don't bark :mrgreen:

Seriously...a good friend of mine used it on his dog and it worked beautifully.

I used a slingshot loaded with rubber " bouncy" balls, sounds bad but the amount of force it hits with is directly related to how far u pull the band.

In turn it also gave me the ability to let them bark when they should be barking, a bark collar doesn't allow that.

After 2 very mild thumps all you have to do is wiggle the rubber band.

Loggerhead Mike said:
My lab has gotten a bad habbit of barking at everything lately. Most of the time she barks at our Mexican neighbors who are constantly comming and going all night when she is in her pen. The pen is a 15x30' tied into the back of the house with all the Mexicans place maybe 50' from the pen.

Yall got any tips of how I should go about teaching her that barking is a no no..?

I have a few elderly neighbors and I want to fix this before it becomes a problem and people start complaining.

I'm no dog trainer.. should I go and scold her while she's barking? Shock collar? Boot up the rear? Tape her lips shut? Call the dog whisperer? Lol thanks for any advise

Why can't your dog come in at night to be with your family??

I'm sorry that I'm a dog lover and I fail to understand why people have dogs to be lawn ornaments.

One thing I do know is that if the dog is ignored and it gets scolded for barking then it will keep doing so as it sees it as a sign of attention.. Good or bad, dogs just want attention and will do bad or good to get attention.

Bark coller all the way. I have never had to use one but I can see how they can be effective. I think they are a humane way to stop the barking. I would not over use it though. I personally rely on my dogs to warn me of dangers or people in close proximity to my home.

Funny story - my drunk buddy one night put a bark coller on and when he snapped it on it pinched the skin on the back of his neck which caused him to yell which triggered the shock which caused him to yell which triggered the shock again. This happened for about 15 seconds and I think I may have pissed myself a little laughing at him.

If you ever want to have fun at a party, grab a shock collar and hand it to that one tough guy you know who happens to be drunk. You will not be disappointed.

Gypsy - she does sleep inside in the winter, but our summer nights are the best in the world. Nice and cool. The dog just whines to go back out if I let her in. I don't care much for being couped up inside either.

I live in town now so we have to keep her in the pen while we arnt home or in bed for the night. She's let out in the morning, on my lunch break and as soon as I get home. Our last dog got ran over and we have some crappy neighbors down the road that have a rep for poisening dogs so we don't take the chance on letting her slip off. If I had to keep her on a chain or locked up 24/7 I'd send her to a better home.

Bull - that would be worth a hundred bucks by itself lol :mrgreen:

My son hired a dog trainer to deal with doggie issues. It was expensive, but just the mere sight of the choke collar keeps them in check. It was money well spent.

But then for the humans:

[youtube]vGeqc3tPSLU[/youtube]

If you are considering one of the bark collars, you could also use one of the shock type training collars. It works similar to the bark collar except it is triggered by a remote control. That way you can have control over whether the dog receives a shock, a warning beep, or no action at all. On the higher quality units, you can even control the level of the shock from the transmitter. I have used the training collars with my labs when teaching them to retrieve birds and when used properly they can be very useful in teaching a dog. Of course these type collars are more expensive than the bark collars.

BTW, when employing any sort of shock collar, make sure you use a collar or voltage setting that is rated properly for the size of your dog. If you use one that's designed for a Chihuahua on a larger dog like a Labrador, you will be wasting your time since the dog will ignore the collar. If you use a collar designed for a Labrador on a Chihuahua, it would be way too powerful and cruel to the dog.

Seems the real problem stems from the people near the "border" of your property.

See if you can have them deported. My buddy has it happen to his coworkers (landscaping business) bi weekly.

Buddychrist said:
I wonder if we can make a bark collar for our wives when they start complaining. I think I found a new invention!!!
I would gladly invest in your startup company.......brilliant.

On a side note, If your dog is a pup it might just take a couple of years to train her to distinguish when and when not to bark.....Both of my dogs actually know all the neighbors and never bark at them. If a stranger walks down my street they bark like crazy.....I like that, so far no stolen property. I always try to train them to know when to bark and when not too. Patience is the key to the training. I dare anyone to come into my yard....the bulldog/shepard mix will get ya, and believe me I know when she has an excited bark, compared to Im gonna eat ya bark.

dyeguy1212 said:
Seems the real problem stems from the people near the "border" of your property.

See if you can have them deported. My buddy has it happen to his coworkers (landscaping business) bi weekly.

Really...? Don't worry that's not offensive at all.

Anyways, the problem isn't your neighbors... Or their ethnicity... Unless they are actually teasing or taunting the animal to bark.

I've trained my dog from a pup and it took some time with barking, we now use a remote collar that works well. He only barks when he needs to, and since it's remote and not automatic he's not SCARED to bark, he just knows when e should and shouldn't.

I have a well trained dog, and I'm Mexican... Go figure...

Latest posts