Gas, charcoal, or other?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallijig

Reaction score
Summer grilling season is getting closer. What make and type of grille do you prefer?
I am sure in some of you in warmer states grilling season never ends.

Gas grill for the everyday grilling and then choice of a custom built smoker or the charbroil charcoal/smoker for everything else

BrazosDon said:
Used gas grill that the burners are not good and charcoal with either mesquite or pecan wood mixed in for flavor.

THIS!!

Charcoal and any kind of wood bits for smell and flavor. I prefer hickory but I love them all.

Like most posters above I use both gas and charcoal/wood. Both my grill and smoker are brinkmann's. I use the gas grill during the week and fire up the smoker on the weekends. This weekend my daughter is coming in town so the smoker is going to get a good workout (boston butt, prime rib roast, and st. luis style ribs)

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I have a gas grill for a quick cook. I use my smoker for the weekends, with charcoal and mesquite chips......mesquite is a Texas thang........ :p
Fool your making me hungry. :beer:

I like charcoal much better than gas, but gas is handy when you're a little pushed for time. I would love to have one of the combo deals that has gas, charcoal, and a smoke box like this https://www.samsclub.com/sams/gas-charcoal-grill/prod8340226.ip?navAction=push

Charcoal and wood fired grills/smokers work well for large pieces or lots of meat and the flavors are hard to beat, but gas grills are easier to get good results again and again as you can control the heat much easier/faster/accuratly and repeat what worked well before w different meats. I have had outstanding results smoking meats on gas grills useing soaked woodchips ( Oak, Hickory, Apple, Grapevine or other fruit woods ) and putting them above the lit burners in a cast iron pan or wrapped in HD tinfoil to create smoke. I like Gas grills w 4 burners, I can turn them all on to heat the grill quickly, and turn off 2 burners in the middle or each side to smoke whole chickens, small turkeys or breast, Pork shoulders/loins and venison etc. and you can repeat your succesfull recipies easier w gas if you make notes of times/ temps as you perfect your smoking. I also put a pan of liquid on the heat for flavorfull steam along w the smoke sometimes, Wine, beer marinades, fruit juices, herbs, onions, lemons etc. or combinations give more great flovors. I don't like to use charcoal when it's windy but gas will work ok on windy days, somewhat sheilded from the wind. For everyday grilling, speed like weeknights, convenience and great searing, smoking, roasting etc. a good gas grill is hard to beat and w practice you would never know something was smoked or roasted on a gas grill and not on wood or charcoal.

Like most, I use both. I love the speed and convenience of gas but I like the flavor better when it's done with charcoal. If I'm doing something small like a few burgers, I'll usually use the gas grill. But for me, there's only one choice when you want to do something larger like ribs or this venison hind quarter.

DSC00353_zps4d8c65d5.jpg

Gas grill all the way. Most of my grilling is done in 10 minutes or less. If I'm cooking larger pieces of meat I'll use my smoker.

What would Hank Hill use? :wink:

JMichael said:
Like most, I use both. I love the speed and convenience of gas but I like the flavor better when it's done with charcoal. If I'm doing something small like a few burgers, I'll usually use the gas grill. But for me, there's only one choice when you want to do something larger like ribs or this venison hind quarter.

DSC00353_zps4d8c65d5.jpg

You're killin me, that looks awesome........................ I've wanted to grill some bacon wrapped backstrap for a week but the weather's been to crappy and will be through the weekend :cry:

JMichael said:
muskiemike12 said:
What would Hank Hill use? :wink:
It wouldn't matter, Boomhouser and the boys would be over sooner or later and screw it up before he got it finished.

:lol: So true.

Gas grill died last summer. Nursed it through to fall by "converting" it to charcoal. Hoping to get a new one this summer...

Love the taste of charcoal, but love the speed of gas.

I prefer charcoal at home, until my son took my Weber to his house. Now its gas at home. While camping, I cook over the open fire for every meal. I can make anything from fish n chips, stew, pizza, breakfast burritos, steak, shish-ka-bobs, and even dessert on an open campfire.

Latest posts