Never ending search for perfect boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrl5678

Reaction score
I keep going round and round in the shopping for my boat. I started out wanting a 1448 welded one. Most of the world said for what I am after it is really to small. (I have one friend who wants to go with me but he is a big fella 400+, I live in Houston so clear lake and back bay are protected but get choppy with a run up the inter coastal to eat, some up river jaunts to explore.) I meandered over to the Mako 17 or Carolina Skiff 16. I was drawn to Jon boats cause low maintenance, got distracted by the cheap plastic boats. I think a 1648 ish is really what I want. I am after a CC, pods, and a tunnel. Taking all opinions and slander about my person.
Also brand and does one of the companies make that exact one? I would like a flip up seat/leaning post I am not a big fisherman I like being on the water.

If you're wanting welded jons look at Seaark, Alweld and the G3. Center console models are going to be in the 18 ft. and larger category, at least from what I've seen of them especially if you want pods and a tunnel also. It will depend a lot on what you want to spend and how much room you're looking for.

Take a look at TB member Stumpalump's Valco Baja Bayrunner. They are made by Klamath now days in 17' & up. This is a very popular open center console boat for the SF bay and delta. Klamath also makes other CC open boats from 16' & up. I'm not sure how available they are in your neck of the woods. On the downside, it doesn't have the tunnel or pods you are looking for.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 4.49.03 PM.png

No matter what you buy, you will wind up wanting something else, it happens to all of us.
The only real option is 3 boats and a kayak to cover every situation that you want to fish. :lol:

Bob9863 said:
No matter what you buy, you will wind up wanting something else, it happens to all of us.
The only real option is 3 boats and a kayak to cover every situation that you want to fish. :lol:

EXACTLY!

I’m glad I’m not the only person that is constantly looking.

If you have the money for a new boat. Check this one out https://www.loweboats.com/hunting-boats/roughneck-1660-pathfinder/

da9e07ff2d93b1692ec9fc2d7b5fdb5b.jpg

tunnel hull, pods, lots of weight capacity, works with a jet or a prop, all aluminum, all welded.

I’d love to add that boat to my kayak and other boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob
I might have moved over to 1660 tiller outboard simple and wide.

I am running up against a lack of dealer stock in the Houston area.

No one here seems to have a fav boat dealer in Houston

I had the perfect (for me) boat in mind but no one had anything close. I don't have the tools or the skills to build what I wanted. So I had to go almost 300 miles to a custom boat shop to make it happen. They took a bare Blazer boat hull and made it my perfect tin boat.

Two dealers that you may want to talk to near Houston.

North Shore Marine is a local SeaArk dealer. They had a 16 ft CC with pods ( I think) on their lot the last time I was there. Talk to Mark. Tell him Rich said hello.

Gullo Yamaha is a G3 dealer in Huntsville. A bit of a drive, but it was worth for me when I bought a 1652 G3 up there a little over a year ago. They had a decent inventory at that time. Angela is the boss-lady who was helpful to me.

Have fun.

Check out Xtreme boats out of Fl. ( careful, there is another builder with the same name ) He has the best selection of Jon boats I’ve ever seen.

Hi,
Agree w/ previous post. Check out Xtreme in Bonifay, Fl. He will build you a boat to your specs. Very flexible, knowledgeable and they do great work.
I live in Pa and I had them build one for me last fall. They met me half way in Charlotte, NC to pick it up. He isn't that far and you can get exactly what you want.

get a custom flat bottom with a jack plate made, your not close, but I recommend uncle j boats or extreme metal fabrication both are in louisiana and make really stout boats. I'd go with 1754 or around that. 1648 with pods would work, but pods just compensate for a hull that wasn't long enough to begin with. I'm not knocking pods I'm going to put a set I had made by jason who owns uncle j boats, on my boat when I can finally find time to mess with the boat. But that's because I already have the hull a 1554 to be exact, and don't feel like selling it and buying another till I really need to. If I was starting fresh based upon what you want a 1754 would be big enough to handle larger lake/inshore chop the jack plate with a 60-70hp on a flat bottom with good prop could run pretty shallow for shallow inshore flats/rivers. It would give two anglers plenty of room, and be able to accommodate a third if need be. With two guys and gear it wouldn't struggle to get on plane at all. I like open tiller hulls but if you like center counsel go that route then. But not having a counsel opens up the boat a ton. When my current hull is finally to the point that it's scrap metal or I have a family and need a bigger boat my next hull will most likely be made by jason (uncle J) or extreme metal fab hard to beat their prices for the boat you get. Nothing wrong with blazers, alwelds, weldbilt, seaark, lowe roughneck, tracker grizzly etc, but a good hull fabricated from 3/16" aluminum is a lot more durable will last a lifetime. You won't be worried about breaking ribs if you get caught in rough waves, accidental rock/debris collisions unless hard won't phase it, that and those guys will build you what ever you want for pretty reasonable.

jrl5678 said:
Bob
I might have moved over to 1660 tiller outboard simple and wide.

I am running up against a lack of dealer stock in the Houston area.

No one here seems to have a fav boat dealer in Houston

I have a 1652 and I think the 1660 would be the best compromise for something short enough to fit in the garage and wide enough for multiple people to be comfortable. If length wasn't a limiting factor, I really like the SeaArk 1872. With a 400 lb buddy, you might need the 1872.

I feel your pain. Been unsuccessfully trying to find an all-welded 18' v-hull tiller with casting deck and a spot for a bow mount trolling motor in the MD area. The only thing close is the Crestliner Kodiak, but you can't find them around here.

Bob9863 said:
i just canceled my alumacraft escape 145cs i had on order.the dealer pushed back the delivery date 3 times.last one was mid april.found the same boat in the next province over. last of the 2017's,blue,all vinyl,with a travel cover,40 e tec with a free prop and 10 year warranty,upgraded seats and 4 alumatrac clamps and 1 deep cycle battery.even with shipping i still saved a grand and it may be here by the end of the weekend.

Good for you. D#$&$ dealers. They promise and then mess you up waiting.

I had a similar deal once on an expensive kayak. Turns out the lying dealer was waiting to get orders for ten units before he would order mine. I cancelled my order.

Latest posts