Why do they do that?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I witness this all the time and saw it again the other day at the ramp. Guy sitting in his bass boat while it is being backed into the water. Big outboard is tilted up. Boat floats free. Guy fires it up with the intake out of the water. Impressive gurgling exhaust sound then he tilts it down.

Why do they do that? I know it is only for a few seconds, but why run it dry at all? Is this a bass boat thing?

LDUBS said:
I witness this all the time and saw it again the other day at the ramp. Guy sitting in his bass boat while it is being backed into the water. Big outboard is tilted up. Boat floats free. Guy fires it up with the intake out of the water. Impressive gurgling exhaust sound then he tilts it down.

Why do they do that? I know it is only for a few seconds, but why run it dry at all? Is this a bass boat thing?
Stupidity and lack of knowledge of the damage they are doing to the water pump impeller.

Darwin Award nominee ... loosely translated from the Latin sayings "Pecunia quam corcillum" and usually followed by "Me habere cervisia, aspiciebam!"

In US English, that means "More $$ than Brains" and "Here, hold my beer .... watch this!"

"Here, hold my beer .... watch this!" --- Haha, among the most regretted utterances in the history of mankind.

In the interest of accuracy, the water intake is might be under or partially under the surface, but the prop hub/exhaust sure isn't and I doubt any water is getting to the pump until the unit is tilted down. Another similar thing I see occasionally is the guy will fire up the motor while the trailer is still backing down the ramp. Motor is running before the boat even hits the water. I'm not really keeping score but seems this might be more with I/Os than OBs.

Anyway, I can understand someone forgetting but I see this all the time. I'm about as absent minded as they come but even I remember to tilt the OB down before inserting the key.

So the motor burns up then the guy will talk about what a lousy motor the <insert brand> is.

Latest posts