Increase crop yields by 40%

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
If this idea were to come to fruition, the world would be changing in a big way.

https://newatlas.com/photosynthesis-photorespiration-ripe-crop-boost/57868/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-01-05%20092114%20USA%20Weekly%20Basic%202019-01-05%20092500%20News%20from%20the%20Final%20Frontier&utm_content=2019-01-05%20092114%20USA%20Weekly%20Basic%202019-01-05%20092500%20News%20from%20the%20Final%20Frontier+CID_4030ab54c6b9ce8fd88eb55a2b42c449&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=Read%20more

Interesting article. I would like to see further data as pertaining to the plants reproductive structure and seed development. In the past, researchers have been able to yield bigger fruits and vegetables by manipulating the plants DNA structure, but at the cost of lower seed production. I think the bigger issue that needs to be addressed is the underuse, under funding, and misallocation of the agricultural segment.

You're right, there would be big changes, but would the changes all be for the better? It's great when you think about feeding the hungry of the world which I'm all for, but there are trickle down consequences, like more pollution to name one. Can you imagine the passing of disease between populations also? The amount of hydrocarbons being introduced into the atmosphere as well as other gases would be exponential also.

No doubt it certainly would be a world changing event.

Maybe it is my reading comprehension, but it always kind of bugs me when I read articles like this and have a hard time identifying exactly who or what scientific institution is driving the claimed research. I do see that one of the guys quoted is from the USDA.

It would be similar to when machinery was introduced to agriculture and when pesticides were introduced. Both meant that we needed fewer and fewer people to produce our food - freeing up workers to do other jobs and reducing the cost of food. It would be good if this works out but not world changing. There is already enough food produced to feed the world. Famine and malnutrition are caused by governments, not by limits on agricultural technology.

Corn farmers already overproduce, if they increase yields by another quantum leap, there has to be another crop they can make money on. Maybe hemp is the next corn.

Latest posts