Interesting solar power article

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been getting the solar advertisements from Comcast (along with ads for homeowners insurance of all things).

I have pretty low elect bills. Just doesn't seem like solar is going to be worth it, especially if you add in the battery storage. Plus I have a metal roof because of our wildfire exposure. It is a great roof and will last forever as long as some guys don't get up there and tromp around on it. :shock:

A lot of folks in the neighborhood have solar water heating panels for their pools. I don't have a pool. I have access to the community one down on the corner. 8)

Well, my sister-in-law just purchased one. They will own the panels and still deal directly with the utility company. They say any credits for feeding back into the network can be applied to both their electric and gas utility bill. The monthly cost to purchase the thing is more than I pay on average for gas & electric combined. I don't know what they pay. Anyway, I'm skeptical but they say they are happy with the numbers. I hope it works for them.

PS: Also hearing some horror stories about roof problems. Besides, problems related to poor installs, I heard animals nest between the roof cover & panels and eventually ruin the roof. Cost to repair is much higher because of course the panels have to be removed and then returned. And remember, as long as the sun is shining they are generating electricity, so it might not be a good DIY project. I suggested to my brother-in-law to make darn sure they put in a master shut off so he can disconnect the things from his house if needed. I'm sure they do that, but better safe than sorry.

Latest posts