Marine Radio

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrl5678

Reaction score
Who carries a marine radio on there small boat?

A hand held or a mounted one. One of the VHS radios to talk to boats or CG?

If so which one and opinion. I might be a gear nerd and I might just be cautious.

I do, but I boat in saltwater estuaries that lead to the ocean (8-miles downriver), so I’d say WHERE you’re using it is a factor ... as if no one else does ... no one will hear you. VHF transmission is line of sight (between sender & receiver) & power (handhelds capped at 5-watts) and antenna height is everything.

I like the floating/waterproof units from Standard Horizon and they can be had for less than $100. Contact BOE Marine and tell them ‘Dale from Classic Parker’ referred you to them and you might get a better deal on a close out item or soon to be closed out item (you know, last year’s inventory) or 10% off.

Ask away if more questions.

Oh, regardless of radio/phones carried ... LEAVE a ‘float plan’ with someone, i.e., where you are going and when you are expected to be back.

I don't have the exposure you guys do. I get cell service on the lakes. Funny, there is no service in many areas while driving up to the lake, but on the lake the service is good. I guess a benefit to the marine radios is that buddies in more than one fishing boat can listen in on a channel.

Anyway, I have a question. If these are line of sight, what kind of radios do the off shore guys use?

(the guy who said there was no such thing as a dumb question didn't hang around me very much)

LDUBS said:
Anyway, I have a question. If these are line of sight, what kind of radios do the off shore guys use?
Good question!

Fixed mount radio sets of 25-watts output, run in duplicate with 8' long heavy-duty rated antennas (so they don't breakdown while whipping around in seas). Plus VHF transmission is all about height, so mounted as high above the boat as possible. USCG station antennas are therefore very, very tall.

Like Dale I carry a small handheld VHF radio from Uniden. It's really just for compliance (hopefully). The only place I ever go boating without cell service is in remote Northern Maine and VHF is basically useless on inland lakes (also illegal without a license).

Thanks for the response, I am in Houston, always just a turn to port from the Bay and the Gulf and a lot of busy shipping lanes.

Latest posts