How to build a Leaf blower hovercraft.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They failed to put a skirt around the plywood to hold the air under the plywood.

My middle school's technology class (shop class essentially) teacher built one that worked well. It was fun to hop on and float down the hallway haha. He also made an electric go kart with a riding mower 3 speed transmission and would cruise up to the front office when the halls were empty.

10 years ago, I built one for my daughter to play with. I used a 4x4 sheet of plywood and an old tarp as the skirt. I covered one side of the plywood with the tarp and folded the tarp around the 4 edges of the plywood and stapled the heck out of it where it was folded over. I then cut a big square out of the tarp on the side that was covering the plywood. I left about 8 - 10 inches of tarp around the edge to be the skirt.

Cut a hole in the plywood with a skill saw and stuck the leaf blower through the hole. It had no steering but it floated great with a 10 year old sitting on it. I would give it a kick to get it moving down the sidewalk. For brakes, take your finger off the leaf blower trigger and it drops to the ground.

It wasn't fancy or pretty but it was fun.

richg99 said:
Now THAT is the way they ought to teach Technology (and everything else). I'll bet the kids paid attention in that class.

They sure did! It was an engineering/building person's dream at that age.

maintenanceguy said:
10 years ago, I built one for my daughter to play with. I used a 4x4 sheet of plywood and an old tarp as the skirt. I covered one side of the plywood with the tarp and folded the tarp around the 4 edges of the plywood and stapled the heck out of it where it was folded over. I then cut a big square out of the tarp on the side that was covering the plywood. I left about 8 - 10 inches of tarp around the edge to be the skirt.

Cut a hole in the plywood with a skill saw and stuck the leaf blower through the hole. It had no steering but it floated great with a 10 year old sitting on it. I would give it a kick to get it moving down the sidewalk. For brakes, take your finger off the leaf blower trigger and it drops to the ground.

It wasn't fancy or pretty but it was fun.

Sounds exactly like the one my class had. I bet your daughter had a blast on it. Cheap creative fun is the best sometimes.

Latest posts