Any pilots, or wanna be pilots on here?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re pilot. I thought about it.

I went up with my BIL, who had just finished his training. It was interesting when we took-off. It was interesting when we landed. The hour(s) in between were pretty boring.

Given my advanced and aged ADD....I didn't think I'd like it too much. I can spend those dollars and time elsewhere and get more fun out of it. But, it is a valid life goal for lots of people.

LDUBS said:
Jim said:
LDUBS said:
I would like to know how just in case I ever need to take over. But otherwise, no interest in being a pilot.

Don't they pretty much fly themselves these days?

I think they do fly themselves. It is the landing part that you need to worry about. :D
:LOL2:
You either land it or..............

I know some aircraft have "Autoland" but it is limited to certain conditions including weather and airport environments and instruments available. I work around airliners and there are so many different types and models it is hard to keep track of them all. Even planes of the same type may have their own different capabilities.

Well, heck, of course I have wanted to fly my own plane in moments of self-delusion over the years.

However, I kept on reminding myself that Gravity is a LAW. I'm not suitable material for piloting.

But for almost 3 years I made weekly commutes from O'Hare to Longview, Texas, for a client. The first part of the trip was via jets of various models; the part from Dallas to Longview was in a Twin Otter. It smelled of av-gas, had 19 seats (if they had 20, they would have needed a flight attendant), it bounced over the thermals of East Texas like we were running moguls at a Olympic downhill ski competition, and yet, it became an old friend. Once onboard, I'd put my jacket against the window, lean into it, and be dozing by the time we taxied down the runway.

The commuter airline sold that plane, I'm told to some island-hopper airline in the Caribbean. It was a beater when I first flew in it, but I trusted it for all its faults. =D>

http://www.bush-planes.com/DeHavilland-DHC-6-Twin-Otter.html

Nice story. Interesting craft, too.

I've flown on a Beaver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Canada_DHC-2_Beaver) a number of times. A trip or two in Canada where the pilot had me hold the yoke for a while. Neat plane for what it was designed for.

As you said, once up in the air, they can lull you to sleep quickly. Glad I wasn't actually flying the thing.

I studied back in 1999 to get my fixed wing pilots license, but in 1992 I built a hot air balloon which I got my commercial license in.
My balloon is the silver one in center of pic

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 795
  • hot air balloon.png
    hot air balloon.png
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 795

Latest posts