1989 Bass Tracker TX17

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kalninm said:
Finally finished the foam in the back deck!!!!!!!!!! Lots more to do this weekend, plumbing, carpeting, etc... but the foam is done! now just need to spend some time cleaning it up tonight.
Did you keep the foam away from the transom. My biggest problem was the very back corners have the cut out to drain water to the bottom hull. But in reality it drained on top of the foam. Sat and saturated the foam. So Iam putting a divider between the foam and the transom blocking. So when my wife takes her dips in the lake. Coming back into the boat. That water will run to the corners and down on its way to the hull bottom. Won’t touch any foam. Hopefully [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used some scrap plywood to make a divider and rags to plug 90% of the holes so I kept it pretty well contained but i definitely have some back there but not much at all, definitely not enough to stop the flow of water that was my biggest goal while doing this was to keep all drain channels open.

P.S. it did ruin the rags and I'll be pulling the plywood dividers out tonight as I clean the rest of the overflow up

kalninm said:
I used some scrap plywood to make a divider and rags to plug 90% of the holes so I kept it pretty well contained but i definitely have some back there but not much at all, definitely not enough to stop the flow of water that was my biggest goal while doing this was to keep all drain channels open.

P.S. it did ruin the rags and I'll be pulling the plywood dividers out tonight as I clean the rest of the overflow up
[emoji106]

So I'll be updating with a bunch of pictures in a little bit but I just wanted to chime in, I went to remove the plywood dividers and they aren't going anywhere. The foam has such a hold on them that they aren't coming out till they rot out. On the plus side they are hidden away and don't impede anything but wanted to give you a heads up cause mine won't budge.

So this weekend I made some actual progress! First of all tried my hand at carpeting, while I wish I had a few more clamps it went pretty dang well! I got the center floor, both side panels, the front of the leg section by the seats and the base of the seat area set. The base seat area needs a lot of work this week but we got the major areas set and we'll do all the edges this week. Had to get creative in adding weight to the carpet while it set up too.I also finally came up with a new way to mount my pumps that'll work better than before, got them mounted and finished the plumbing to them!!! After that we were able to put the back deck back together, and rivet in the side panels in the middle of the boat. Then I decided to do a little work on the live well, as if cutting two additional 1" holes in it wasn't enough I then drilled out the rivets holing the divider in the livewell as in my opinion its too small a livewell for a divider and I could just see my fish getting injured on the sharp corners. I replaced those rivers I drilled out with large headed pop rivets and silicone. Also got all the lids carpeted and the handles put back in the hatch lids. Hopefully next weekend the back deck can get carpeted and we can start working on wiring and the front deck.

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3403.JPG
    IMG_3403.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3402.JPG
    IMG_3402.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3404.JPG
    IMG_3404.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3398.JPG
    IMG_3398.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,665
  • IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,664
kalninm said:
So I'll be updating with a bunch of pictures in a little bit but I just wanted to chime in, I went to remove the plywood dividers and they aren't going anywhere. The foam has such a hold on them that they aren't coming out till they rot out. On the plus side they are hidden away and don't impede anything but wanted to give you a heads up cause mine won't budge.
Thanks, That’s good to know. Iam going to use the pink foam. Stand it up and cut ot fit. Then tape it in around the edges. It will be pressed by the foam, tight to the transom aluminum blocks. Leaving that 2” space clear to bottom of the hull. But that is just one area of many. Right lol. I have the longitudinal stringers, so the square pockets they create down both sides will be my main issue to drain.

That would have been smart, if I knew I wouldn't get the plywood out I would have used foam good idea

Got a little more done with the carpeting this weekend. After looking at some of the other builds here it seems like I've taken a bit of a different approach to the carpeting. Just wanted to share how I've attacked it and what I've learned so far.
1- air temp makes a difference, being that I'm doing this in the middle of winter up here and using a kerosene heater to heat the garage it makes a difference, If i'm not sweating its not warm enough, and if I don't go back out after an hour or so to heat the garage back up for a bit after I'm done, I'm going to have a better chance of crappy results
2- It may take longer for large amount of glue to dry but when you're carpeting a large surface with a lot of small changes in height, such as the back deck of my boat, on those changes in elevation don't be afraid to put down A LOT of glue! Otherwise odds are you won't have a great bond, it's almost like using it as a bondo to transition some of the elevation changes you're carpeting over. after it gets set up and tacky...2-3 hours later, go back and work those large deposits of glue around in the areas by pressing with your fingers. The glue is already tacked to the carpet so you shouldn't get any lift but this will help distribute the excess glue around those areas
3- Plan everything out as best you can and measure 4 or 5 times to make sure! If you're unsure of how something might lay down around a corner or something, get a newspaper and make the corners cut you want to and lay down the newspaper to see how it's going to work
4-Equally distributed pressure especially all the way to the edges and adequate glue is a must! Also, let it sit longer than it calls for, I've had two separate times now where I either didn't have pressure all the way across an area or took it off after just a few hours because it was tacking up. Both time on an edge that was folded, both times I had to apply more glue and re-clamp it and let it sit for a while. They both came out great but needed extra attention because I screwed up.
5- Lastly, do it in sections if you're unsure of yourself. I've done almost all of my pieces now in multiple sections, especially if it's a complex piece or I don't have enough clamps to do all the edges. Take your time with it, I'm doing my back deck now and It's 1 large piece with one filler piece in two corners. I opted for the one large piece because it minimizes the number of carpet seams on the deck and therefore minimizes how many areas there are for it to lift up. However just doing this one large piece, I've broken up and is going to be 4 different sections, I have sections 1 and 2 done, 3 is happening tonight and 4 is going on Wednesday which should complete the back deck carpeting.

Hope this helps someone, this is the exact approach I've been taking and to be honest I'm extremely happy with how it's been coming out so far. Here is where I am with the back deck so far, I'll probably update again later this week.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 3,572
That rear deck is a learning experience for anyone lol. Keep up the good work. Can’t wait to see it finished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright guys I need some help here. From day one I wanted to have a rod locker that can hold all my rods on this boat, that means holding 3 8'ers. There is plenty of room down the middle but what I'm concerned about is what we ran into last night. We cut the first half of the front deck and started mocking stuff up for the rod box. I cut a hole in the front deck divider and laid an 8' rod in it. Looked at where the back end of the rod box was going to be and it was quickly apparent that the opening section for the rod box would be too far forward for me to be able to easily put rods in and get rods out. So I have an easy fix in my head but I need some input. The second picture shows the hole I cut for the rod box. Would it be okay if I cut the top of that hole out and added more reinforcement a little farther toward the front? Or would I be asking for trouble?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3430.jpg
    IMG_3430.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 3,531
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3,531
I would not cut that out. Unless you will be putting one in no more than a foot back. And it would need to run all the way across from rail to rail. That bulkhead is more for the hull then the deck. JMHO

Make sure you knock a dent in the rivets with a center punch so your drill doesn’t walk.

I highly recommend Aircraft Paint Stripper to remove any and all paint. That stuff removes everything!

Alright so after many hours of sitting in the boat drinking beer and looking at it with a dumb stare I think I've settled on a plan. The bracing divider I was asking about is staying but it's getting another hole in it. We'll see how much work I get done tomorrow but in the next couple weeks I should have a completed front deck! Then on to wiring, little add on's, more trailer work, and some motor stuff. All of that is relatively simple though. The next few weeks will be the next and hopefully last big hurdle!! As I make progress on the rod box I'll update and explain the plan but for now I'll leave it a mystery. Hope everyone is having a productive weekend!

kalninm said:
Alright so after many hours of sitting in the boat drinking beer and looking at it with a dumb stare I think I've settled on a plan. The bracing divider I was asking about is staying but it's getting another hole in it. We'll see how much work I get done tomorrow but in the next couple weeks I should have a completed front deck! Then on to wiring, little add on's, more trailer work, and some motor stuff. All of that is relatively simple though. The next few weeks will be the next and hopefully last big hurdle!! As I make progress on the rod box I'll update and explain the plan but for now I'll leave it a mystery. Hope everyone is having a productive weekend!
I’m not sure how far back you are taking your deck but I have about a foot maybe a foot and a half extra room with a 7’6 rod on my locker and it slides right in no problem

You need to watch your front deck where the panel goes with the trolling motor plug. The plug sticks out a bit and when raising the deck it puts that carpet filler panel at enough of an angle that your trolling motor plug will not fit. Pulling wires threw isn’t hard if you forget. That is if you are doing a trolling motor tray

Latest posts