1990 16' Lund Rebel Special

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled her out of the shop yesterday, washed her down and applied a final coat of floor paint. Have a few more touch ups to do on the interior and she'll be pretty much ready to outfit with pole holders, down riggers and gear. Next stop is buffing the paint, trailer side bunks, bearings, rewiring and new lights then on to the motor....

Attachments

• Boat56.jpg
    Boat56.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3,272
  • Boat57.jpg
    Boat57.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,272
  • Boat58.jpg
    Boat58.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,272
  • Boat59.jpg
    Boat59.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,272
Good morning fellow boat rebuilders. Just a quick update re: progress made - I found a really cool stall mat that I'm using to cover and protect the floor. It's about 3/8" thick rubber - should really help with noise and I won't have to worry about where I put my mobile fishing chair. I will attach a photo at a later date. I found the anchor nest I've been searching for but have yet to brainstorm the attachment. Yesterday I started in on the engine. Changed oil, spark plugs, lower unit gear lube and replaced the water pump. The engine is a 2004 Yamaha 40 hp 4 stroke. If you have one of these there are 6 bolts you have to remove to drop your lower unit - not 4 - not 5 - 6. The sneaky ******* has one hidden under the trim tab. If you don't take this one out it really doesn't matter how hard you smack on it with your rubber hammer it won't come loose and all you get is frustrated. What the hell did we ever do before we had UTube? It had been along time (if ever) since the impeller was changed. It was actually in pretty good shape but the grease was like petrified in there. There was also quite a lot of sand all over inside. It was quite the adventure - next time will be easier and quicker. At my next opportunity I will be hauling her out of the shop and running that bugger! Maybe she'll see the water next weekend? Until next time! :beer:

You have done a nice job rebuilding your old Lund. Old tin boats never die.
Now consider using a combination green/red navigation light on the deck and get those other lights off the bow ofyour beautiful boat.

Thanks for the input ppine. I appreciate your comments. Pretty soon I'll post a photo that shows why I moved the lights. I'm not 100% happy with my choice either but the options were few for my application. For right now, suffice it to say I do not have room on the deck for lights.... :beer:

Wow! it's looking great! Congrats!

It just so happens that there is an nearly EXACT copy of your boat for sale down here in Florida. Looking at the OEM drain holes in your boat, I don't have to imagine the problems under the deck of this one. :)

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/d/1991-lund-rebel-7337-tiller/6683798126.html

water bouy said:
That Lund on craigslist is posted by a scammer all over the country about every month.

Really, I was unaware, I googled "craigs list 1991 Lund Rebel 7337 Tiller" and yup a few listings did come up all with local numbers across the country. I wonder what the scam angle is?

I sent Craig's list the following:

craigslistscam.jpg

CL has a long article about scammers somewhere. The other day I got a text from a scammer who tried to tell me 2 voicemail messages about my item were waiting if I called his number. Come to think of it, I got a robo call from my own home phone number the other day.

I know you've all been anxiously waiting for the photos showing why I can't have lights on the bow of my build. Well, the wait is over. Here they are. Also developing over the weekend was the running of the engine. Now this is particularly exciting for me as the last time I ran the motor it overheated. I did all the routine maintenance - lower unit lube, impeller, oil change, plugs, fuel filter - put the ear muffs on her along with the top end hose connection and low and behold she took right off. My tach works as it should. This is very exciting. My plan is to float the old girl next weekend.

Attachments

• Boat61.jpg
    Boat61.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Boat 60.jpg
    Boat 60.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,909
  • Boat62.jpg
    Boat62.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,909
Well, the maiden voyage happened yesterday. It was a beautiful fall day here in the PNW. The boat was outstanding -no leaks!. The motor not so much. She ran like a swiss watch once I got her warmed up and ran some good treated gas thru her - 5900 RPM pushed this little Lund every bit as fast as I'd really ever want to go with my wife and I and our trusty hound... right up until it quit pumping water... sitting there enjoying the sunshine and all of a sudden my over heat buzzer sounded. Now, I just replaced that darn impeller - she cooled and peed at high RPM but not at idle. Limped her back to the dock, sat thru the usual Sunday afternoon mayhem at the local boat ramp, loaded up and went home with my tail between my legs. When I got home I hooked up the muffs and tried it with same results - so I did what any good dedicated boat builder would do - I went in the house, cracked a cold one, sat in my recliner and pouted. (not really - I actually watched my favorite football team end KC's undefeated season - so that was actually good)... I was able to identify rollers on the trailer that need replaced and the bunks are in good shape so that was nice. Next up - tear that darn lower unit apart again... knowing this time there are 6 bolts to remove, not 5 it should be somewhat easier. I will let you know what I find....

Attachments

• Boat63.jpg
    Boat63.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • Boat64.jpg
    Boat64.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,825
Finally rounded up the time to tear into the lower unit. Check out the photo to see what I found. I have no idea how this would of happened... the installation was by the book but something didn't work as it should. All parts are replaced now and hopefully I will get a chance to run her tomorrow night after work. Other than just being a Murphy, any ideas on what happened are appreciated...

Attachments

• Boat65.jpg
    Boat65.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 1,717
wmrmurphy said:
Finally rounded up the time to tear into the lower unit. Check out the photo to see what I found. I have no idea how this would of happened... the installation was by the book but something didn't work as it should. All parts are replaced now and hopefully I will get a chance to run her tomorrow night after work. Other than just being a Murphy, any ideas on what happened are appreciated...

Could have been bad right out of the box.
Call customer service and see if they will make it right.
Was it OEM or after market?
BTW, nice looking Lund you got there.

Thanks Jasper. Thanks for the complement. It has been an adventure getting her to this point. The impeller is OEM Yamaha but for the few bucks it cost it's not really worth messing with. I went back and replaced everything this time so hopefully it'll do the trick. Will report back after running it a couple times. Other than that, barring any additional crazy mods I am probably done with this post. I plan to add a couple stainless steel tie rings to tether my over zealous shepherd while underway and I plan to add a small kicker (and maybe a wind screen and/or sunshade) but that's about it for this rebuild.

Ok. Done. Motor works fine after replacing every part of the water pump. She's a little rough at idle and I have a bit of vibration at idle in gear I may try to calm down but for the most part this will be my last addition to this post. Thanks to all who have followed this project and I hope I've given a few people ideas and hints that will help with your projects. Peace out.

It is very heartening to see people fix up the old boats and keep using them.

There is one dump on our county. There is a place where old fiberglass boats go to die Sometimes they are in a pile. I have never seen an aluminum boat there.

Last week I took the canvas off my 1951 Old Town Guide 18. It is going to get some new ribs and wood treatment before going back in the water this spring.

I know, I know - I said I was done posting on this topic but wanted to just stick a couple more photos up - this weekend I pulled the boat off the trailer and rewired it completely, repaired and improved the bunks, replaced the keel rollers and bow roller and painted all rust with rust converter. The only thing remaining is to check and repack the wheel bearings. Perhaps next week. I thought the photos were kinda fun and informational. Enjoy! I'll check back from time to time and see if there are any questions I can answer. Until next time! Cheers!

Attachments

• Boat67.jpg
    Boat67.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Boat66.jpg
    Boat66.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,465