Tapatalk has been disabled due to being incompatible with the current version of the forum software. Will be re-enabled once it's fixed.

Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
dyeguy1212

Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Updated with Video

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Oakland University

The switch panel has worked great. The fuses come with it, pre-wired. It has a seal around the edge, and each switch is covered, so I'd assume its perfectly waterproof. With that being said, I haven't tested it out yet.

Froggy

Post by Froggy »

" infinite amount of time..." nice, wait till you get out of school! :lol:

UtahBassKicker

Post by UtahBassKicker »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Oakland University

The switch panel has worked great. The fuses come with it, pre-wired. It has a seal around the edge, and each switch is covered, so I'd assume its perfectly waterproof. With that being said, I haven't tested it out yet.
Thanks for the good info.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Froggy wrote:" infinite amount of time..." nice, wait till you get out of school! :lol:

Gotta be honest, I'm enjoying it while I can. I fully understand that the number of summer vacations I have left are limited, so I'm going to use them to the best of my ability. I'll be setting my alarm clock every day :lol:

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Alright I finally got some time to get some work done! [-o<

Got the fishfinder and GPS installed, and everything seems to work good. Hopefully the on-the-water tests will result in little transducer adjustments.

I also got the remainder of the wiring done, including the stern light, and my bluewaterled cargo light. I planned to use one light for my trolling motor pedal, but decided to put it in a little gap on the front deck to light my rodsaver area. Hopefully some of the light will reach the rest of the deck too.

The stern light was an absolute PITA. The wires came out of the plug (its ancient), and I'm not willing to pay for a new one. So I heated up the soldering gun, and melted away a bunch of plastic until I got to the metal tabs, and soldered the wires to them. Came out stronger than it was originally, and it works perfect. Gotta love the rig jobs.

I turned all the loose wires into a wiring harness with 3 rolls of electrical tape, and things are a lot more manageable now. I wish I have before and after pics, because it was a real headache before.

I also got my bilge and livewell pumps going again, because both hoses kinked up as they were exposed to the spring heat. I had to shorten them up and re-route them a bit to get everything back in order. I also epoxyed the bilge pump to the hull in the tansom area, because it was rattling around, and I had no idea how it's actually supposed to be mounted. It's not like I was going to screw it down into the hull and have screws hanging out of the bottom :roll:

But now that all is said and done, the rear deck is ready to go in. I can't decide if I want to enclose it all, or leave it somewhat open. I like it how it is now because I can throw a ton of stuff back there, but I like bass-style back decks as well.

Any input?

oh, and pics to come.

ClintP

Post by ClintP »

Awesome job on the boat. No ideas for the aft deck. :(

rcgreat

Post by rcgreat »

Dyeguy, The boat looks great, Im insanely jealous. I love what you have done.

Do you have a dollar total? I am Curious

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Haven't kept track, and for good reason. I can't afford this boat anymore :roll:

Its well over 400 (or maybe 500) in materials, between wood, carpet, wiring, pumps, lights, new tools I needed, hardware, and a ton of brackets. Those things add up at .50-1.00 a piece. Then add in the livewell that was well over 200, the TM over 300, batteries, spray paint, a fish finder, new water pump... ehhhh boy.

I'll regret all this when it comes time to start paying off student loans.
Last edited by dyeguy1212 on 27 May 2010, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

cyberflexx

Post by cyberflexx »

Nice looking boat....

I have a ton of cash sunk into my mod as well.... The biggest chunk was the new 4stroke 9.8 that I purchased last summer. I asked the wife if I could sell it and get a Lowe Skorpion with a 9.9hp rigged to it instead and she quickly replied NO NO NO, No more boats!!! I just laughed at her...
Alumacraft Build
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8876

Carolina Skiff J14 Mods
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=27593

My fishing Rigs:
2009 Yukon Denali XL
2004 Ranger 519VX Comanche Ranger Cup
2004 Mercury EFI 200HP
2009 Tohatsu 9.8hp / electric start/ shortshaft
1999 Carolina Skiff J-14

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Well its pouring rain, so its a good day to work in the garage. Talked to my uncle, and he has a slip on a lake down the street but hasn't put his boat in. So I volunteered to help him get his money's worth but putting my boat there so I can work on my trailer today.

So we're looking at:

Removing some of the old paint
New paint
New bunks, with carpet
Trying to sturdy up the winch post
Removing the guide-ons, because the rattle makes the whole rig look (sound) like garbage when trailering.

Zubes

Post by Zubes »

Great job! That's a really nice looking boat. Everyone can tell you took your time and did it right. That $ amount doesn't seem to bad either. I can't wait to get working on mine, your boat gave me a lot of ideas.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Got quite a bit done so far. Took it out and powerwashed it, and knocked off a ton of loose paint. Them let it dry while and went to Home Depot and got a wire wheel, and 6 cans of flat black spray paint. I got that off brand stuff that's 98 cents a can, hopefully I won't regret it :lol:

Wirewheeled all the lose stuff (all over the darn thing), along with the stickers, and the pin striping on the fenders. Then took it back out and power washed it again, and its going to sit in the garage over night to try.

Tomorrow it gets new bunks, with new bunk carpeting (got a great deal at BPS) and a new paint job.
Attachments
Old paint, and pin stripe, coming through
Old paint, and pin stripe, coming through
IMAG0098.JPG
IMAG0098.JPG
Original.JPG

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Here are some pics post-wirewheel
Attachments
IMAG0101.JPG
Fender post-wheel.JPG
IMAG0099.JPG

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

I was one bolt away from putting the bunks back on, and of course I broke it off :roll:

Here are a couple pics prior to putting everything back together. Hopefully I'll beat the rain and get everything done tomorrow
Attachments
IMAG0099.JPG
IMAG0098.JPG
IMAG0097.JPG

mangelcc

Post by mangelcc »

trailer looks great!!!! I need to get started on mine!