Jon Boat Seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeaucha007

Reaction score
We have a 12 foot Jon Boat (Bass Pro Model 1232) that we use on a 30 acre lake in East Texas. I would like to permanently mount seats to the center and stern benches -- seats that swivel. I have read some of the postings that deal with the subject but wanted to further ask about the best way to proceed. For mounting purposes, is it necessary to stiffen the aluminum benches by adding a board (maybe a one inch thick piece)? Do you suggest gluing and screwing the board to the bench?

Or can you do without the board and screw the mounting hardware directly to the aluminum bench, as with a Lock N pin seat mounts? Is the aluminum wall bench sturdy enough for such an application? Does it matter that the bench contains the flotation material?

If someone could weigh in I would appreciate it. I tried the clamp on seats that swivel but they did not do the job. I weigh 220 pounds and need something that is more sturdy. The seats need to swivel so that I can operate a stern-mounted trolling motor which is a Minn Kota, with 55 pounds of thrust.

Steve Beauchamp
Granbury, Texas

Pictures of your boat would help.

I had to put aluminum angle under my seat. I also removed the foam from inside my seat for a compartment and access to the underside. I do not recommend removing the foam. I've seen people screw a board on top of the seat, weld an aluminum plate to bolt the seat too, or you can use tee nuts to attach some kind of plate or board.

Attachments

• laws%20boat%20tb006.jpg
    laws%20boat%20tb006.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 2,375
Thank you for the input. From what I can tell you did a fine job on your boat.

Steve in Granbury.

I got these from a local academy store (could not find it listed there on line, but that is were I got it from.I got it in san antonio, and I only paid @$24.00.)

they work great for me.

https://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/product.asp?prod=263224

Did your bench seats have rounded corners? Mine do, so I wonder if the clamps will work. Do the clamps screw to the bench?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in Granbury

sbeaucha007 said:
Did your bench seats have rounded corners? Mine do, so I wonder if the clamps will work. Do the clamps screw to the bench?

Thanks in advance.

Steve in Granbury

yes my seats have rounded sides(front/rear) and even though the bracket was a piece of 90 degree aluminum, it worked out fine. The only thing that I couldn't use was the rear retaining strip, as my seats were not deep enough for that bracket. Which in hind sight is good, because if the keeper was there, I would be very hard to adjust the seats port and starboard.And yes the bracket or brackets did screw into the bench. the 90 degree is installed then the seat sits in a Chanel and will not come off unless you tilt the seat up,on my boat I have to lift the seat up just to slide the seat along the bench...you can see the type of benches I have in this pic..

08-21-09_1917.jpg

Thanks, Texxfletch, for taking the time to post your helpful information -- and the photograph which accompanied it.

Steve in Granbury