Need help flat topping my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevormlb

Reaction score
I have a 12' Landau flat bottom (wide) that I use on the salt water flats around Sebastian Inlet, Fl.
I'm looking to flat top the boat from the front bench forward to make it easier to sight cast and keep it organized. I want to rivet everything together but I have never used a rivet gun before. I have been building with wood since I can remember so I can design it. I just need tips on putting it together. What should I look for in a pop rivet gun? How much practice do I need before attempting this?

Pop rivet guns are easy to use. They will usually come with several tips to match the several different size pop rivets out there. Make sure you have the correct size tip in the gun (by sticking the pop rivet in the tip and it fits right and not too loose).

If you have too many pop rivets to do then it will flat wear you out trying to do them all by hand. You can get a pretty cheap pnumatic pop rivet gun for about $70 (maybe less) and that will make it much easier.

rivets are easy man - I did it for the first time on my boat with a $9 rivet gun from Harbor Freight. The only thing you need to make sure to get is a lot of small drill bits - depending on the size hole you drill (I used 1/8" rivets), I think I broke about 5 drill bits before it was all said and done.

For structure, 3/16 pop rivets are the only way to go. For the decking, I like to jump it down to either 5/32, or 1/8 put on 6 - 8 centers.

Latest posts