My delhi 1236

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishitaway

Reaction score
So I'm new to the forum. Hi guy's nice to meet you all. Beautiful boats I love em all. I just recently came across a butt ugly delhi flatbottom 1236. I plan on making a low deck in the front section. Just high enough to make a level surface. Then I plan on taking the top of the front bench out and make storage space. But the first thing I must do is get the nasty multiple layers of paint off. Which leads to my first question, I want the boat to have the original metal color but need to no if it needs any kind of coating on top of the aluminum? I love the look of aluminum! I melt aluminum for a living and have feel in love with the look of fresh aluminum!! Anyway enough rambling. I plan on putting a stripe down the side and need to know if it's safe to clear coat the paint. I know how to paint cars but I do not know how the clear coat will handle be in water. Thanks guys for any info.

First off WELCOME :) !

As for your boat I'd recommend using a paint stripper. You could sand/wire brush off, but it will scratch the aluminum. After that , your pretty much done. The aluminum will not need any kind of clear coat on it. The clear coat will not stick to the bare aluminum with out some sort of a primer, and that would not leave the bear metal look. If your planning on using it in the salt (which I believe you said in you other thread) then I would not leave it bare. I would consider coating it with something.

Most guys around here prefer the Steelflex coating on the bottom. It seals the bottom and rivits and gives it protection too.

Good luck.

if you take it down to bare aluminum, it will oxidize and start looking like crap... I think you can put a coat of clear on it - not positive, but I think some on here have done it before. Give this post a few more hours and you'll have more responses.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for the replies so far. I do not plan on using in saltwater, as I live about 6-8 hrs from it. The steelflex sounds like a good idea. Thanks. russ010 I love what you did with your boat and am planning on using some of your ideas. I already bought my rubbermaid container for the livewell.

one word of advice on that livewell... if you use it during the summer and it gets really hot, make sure you put a few reusuable freezer blocks of ice in there and the pump running the whole time.

I upgraded from that to a 70qt cooler and man the difference it made. Of course now I"ve got a 150qt cooler...

I plan on using the container until I run across a good cooler. I have a Minn Kota 27 lb thrust trolling motor and was wondering about battery usage. Do I need to have a battery for it plus a battery for the accessories or will one suffice? As far as accessories i plan on the live well, and a radio. Sooner or later there will be lights. Also do you think a 27 Lb trolling motor would be able to push the boat with decking installed?

it will push it - but the WalMarts around here sell a 34T Motorguide... I use that to push my 1232 back home and it does great... I wouldn't think you'd have too much problem with that 27 until you're ready to upgrade.

As far as batteries go, I use a series 24 Duralast from AutoZone on that 34#, and I can go all day long. I had a fish finder going on it too, but if I moved a lot and long distances, it was pretty sluggish at the end of the day (usually about 10 hours).

I would really get 1 big battery (29 series from Walmart are good).. and a smaller 24 series from Autozone for your electronics. The livewell, radio, lights, etc - it's better to do it right the first time and just have it done and out of the way.

If you are looking to save money and only want 1 battery, then just get the 29 series, and run off it... I wouldn't run the areator the whole time, nor the lights - they don't pull much, but what they do pull will take away power for your trolling motor

Well took the boat out and it is leak free. Motor pushes the boat great. I took two other folks with me. one being my fishing partner and the other being there to make sure it would float with his added weight, should be equivalent to the plywood and stuff. It did great!!! Time to get started on the mods.

Not postitive, but think I remember reading somewhere abut a product called sharkhide that was a clear coat system for aluminum. Not sure of the price, but may be worth looking into.

Latest posts