'88 16ft V mod. muskiecraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmyersmn

Reaction score
The season is going to be coming to an end in another month or two and I will be redoing my rig this winter. I decided to get started with the thread so that I don't end up months behind on the updates and never get around to them. The boat is a 'Northwood' 16' V. All of the research I have found is that Northwood was a private brand for Link Recreation (Marine dealer) and/or resort sales/rentals. The company would buy surplus hulls from other manufacturers and build lines based on them. I believe my hull is a Smokercraft. If it is or not is not much of an issue. When its done it will be re-badged "Muskiecraft".

I am starting with painting the motor since it still needs to be able to make it on the water for a few more weeks.

Here is how it started:
CIMG2584.jpg

CIMG2583.jpg

CIMG2585.jpg

The boat is currently watertight. I did have two leaks. A missing rivet on each side. The holes are filled with Cabelas Aluminium repair. Basically this is a stick of low temp epoxy. You heat up the metal with a propane torch and wick the epoxy into the hole. I will place new rivets into both spots once I tear it down and can better access both sides of the hole.

I started working on the motor cap. Decals and paint where removed and sanding and priming started. I put the first coat of topcoat on yesterday and wet sanded it this morning. I am almost happy with how it is turning out but I found a few scratches I missed. I am going to go ahead with another top coat and wet sand and see if they fill in. Motor will be coming off tonight for cleaning and primer and prep for paint. It needs to be back on by Saturday so If I cant get the prep & prime done by tomorrow I will need to use it Saturday in prime and give it another cleaning after.

I did that yesterday. I took my boys out Crappie fishing with the lid in primer. New decals and sound foam have also been ordered and those should arrive this week.

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

Little:
CIMG2588.jpg

Large: 37" Slimer. I caught his brother 39" 2 days later. Same lake, different lure.
big-ole-pike1.jpg

Nice rig. Do happen to know how much it weighs? I have a 16' semi-v as well. I'm thinking about getting a newer motor. How do you like yours? Does it push it well?

Me and a fishing buddy can run around in the 16-19mph depending on if the wind is front or back. With my wife and two boys its more like 14-17mph. The motor has stabilizer fins installed. The deck and seat covers are all 3/4" plywood with a bunch of 2x4 supports. I wouldn't say my boat is very light in its current configuration. That's one of the things I hope to change before next year-pull some weight out of it.

yea, your hull is similar to mine with deep sides and long transom, but yours is much nicer. I wouldn't strip it down. Plus it sounds like it gets the job done. Nice catch by the way.

Mine was 400lbs from the factory. A side storage box and side steer console was removed by someone. The flat floors were added by the previous owner, which I really like. But the floors add how much weight??
SDC12193.jpg

jasper60103 said:
yea, your hull is similar to mine with deep sides and long transom, but yours is much nicer. I wouldn't strip it down. Plus it sounds like it gets the job done. Nice catch by the way.

Mine was 400lbs from the factory. A side storage box and side steer console was removed by someone. The flat floors were added by the previous owner, which I really like. But the floors add how much weight??
SDC12193.jpg

I like the open floor on your rig. It took me a long time to decide to keep my benches vs. removing them. I would like to get my rods into a hard sided storage but I decided I wanted to keep the benches and turn them into storage.

I will weigh one of my floor sections tonight and give you an idea what it weighs. The boat does look ok from a distance but once you fish in it for a while you start to learn all the things you want different. For me I need storage. Currently I have a battery and gas tank behind the rear seat. I am adding two more batteries because I am adding a 24v bow mount troller. The transom troller is staying in the boat as well. I do a lot of drifting with a drift sock on the front and the troller on back to keep me drifting how I want. I want the drift sock out of my boat never to come back in! The drifts we do are about 30-40 min and then we are motoring back up to the start to run the drift again. Setting up the sock each time is something I could do without. I also have grown tired of 3 large plano boxes and 4 medium plano boxes kicking around under my feet and a cooler as well. I fish with 3 poles with different sized lures so I always have all my plano boxes scattered around at my feet. I am going to remove the foam from the 3 bench seats. The front bench will keep the foam it has. It is too small for storage. The benches will then get lids on hinges and they will all be for storage for batteries, tackle, gear, etc. etc.. Then I can flip the hatch up on the seat in front of me and toss all my plano boxes inside when I am done swapping lures. I am also going to put a storage hatch in the floor with a compartment under it to store life vests. The only time I wear a vest is when we start getting into October and the water starts to get cool. I have switched to fishing in Artic Armor when its cold and since the Artic Armor floats I can do away with the vest in the late fall early spring as well. The rear casting deck is 1" lower then the rear seat so its a funny step and its hard to cast around my tiller and electronics because of it. If you look at the seats closely you will notice I have a piece of aluminium behind each seat back. The seat backs are rotted out and need replace. So, I have numerous things I can change to make it better suited for what I want. But your right, it is a nice rig as is and I am pleased with how it performs now. I just know it can be better.

I do plan to put new foam in to replace what I take out. Under my current floor I have a huge expanse of open space. I am going to be raising up the floor 1" and that's going to give me even more. I am still debating how I want to do the foam. I am thinking pink sytro-lowes stuff vs. 2 part. The 2 part is more permanent but I am not looking to make my boat watertight. It is garage kept. Stored 5 months of the year and trying to keep foam dry will just turn into trying to dry the foam out after its wet. I am also debating about the carpet. I always fish barefoot, except for when its cold. I might switch over to something such as Kiwi-Grip but I would like to find something that is durable like kiwi-grip but is a little less a non-slip coating and more of a rubberised coating so that I can continue to stay barefoot. I am still debating that though. Maybe the Cabelas Tuff-Grip stuff. That is a decisions to be made later this winter. Right now I need to put a final coat of paint on my motor so that I can get it back on the boat for Saturday and Muskie chasing.

Anything heavy that you can locate under the sole will improve performance, handling and stability. I would put the three batteries under the sole at least. This will keep your center of gravity low and keep the batteries out of the way.

I really like the color of that hull!

danmyersmn,
sounds like you have a plan. I'm really amazed at the mods on this forum. Great ideas.
Oh, I just noticed the AnchorMateII on your boat. I just scored one a couple weeks ago on craigslist. $30 for the mount, crank and a anchor.
I want it bow mounted like yours, and I want the crank behind the rear seat near the transom.
I plan to buy the pulley kit (https://www.worthco.com/marine/anchoraccess.html), which comes with 2 line guides and a swivel pulley.
My problem is I can't figure out how to mount the pulley under the bow cap.

Can you share how it's done on your rig?
Do you like how it performs?
Just realized your in minnesota too. I'm south of the metro near lakeville. I've been up to elk river several times for work.

thanks,
jasper

I am also debating about the carpet. I always fish barefoot, except for when its cold. I might switch over to something such as Kiwi-Grip but I would like to find something that is durable like kiwi-grip but is a little less a non-slip coating and more of a rubberised coating so that I can continue to stay barefoot. I am still debating that though. Maybe the Cabelas Tuff-Grip stuff. That is a decisions to be made later this winter.

I use a product called Skid no more. It is basically a latex paint with ground up rubber in it. I get it locally here and it is about $60 a gallon. It comes in a grey, but you can add white to lighten it up.(that is what I did) I like to fish barefoot sometimes and in Texas the heat can be unbearable on your feet. Especially with a dark color. But I have used this several times and it works great. Not slippery at all and not too harsh on your feet. Where you are you could probably get away with the darker grey too. I'll see if I can get some manufacture info or a web site.

jasper60103 said:
danmyersmn,
sounds like you have a plan. I'm really amazed at the mods on this forum. Great ideas.
Oh, I just noticed the AnchorMateII on your boat. I just scored one a couple weeks ago on craigslist. $30 for the mount, crank and a anchor.
I want it bow mounted like yours, and I want the crank behind the rear seat near the transom.
I plan to buy the pulley kit (https://www.worthco.com/marine/anchoraccess.html), which comes with 2 line guides and a swivel pulley.
My problem is I can't figure out how to mount the pulley under the bow cap.

Can you share how it's done on your rig?
Do you like how it performs?
Just realized your in minnesota too. I'm south of the metro near lakeville. I've been up to elk river several times for work.

thanks,
jasper

Hah, maybe its a small world. I sold my AnchorMate II on craiglist for $30.00 a few weeks back. Did you buy it in the Home Depot parking lot in North Minneapolis? I have the pulley kit and it will be coming off the boat when I get around to drilling out the rivets and yanking it off. I can shoot pic's of how it is done. I only used the AnchorMate when taking my kids bobber fishing. I didn't have room for it with my planned bow mount troller.

Good Idea Rat about putting the batteries down as low as possible. I will have to see how I can mount them down low. Thats months away though so all of those ideas are still in the planning stages.

Ok, photo time. How about a 22" inside a 39". No, i didn't catch it that way. My wife didn't believe me when I told her that a big pike or muskie will eat smaller ones no problem. I showed her, she took a picture. thats that.

Oh, and I am a huge fan of photo and release of any of these guys that are over 25". Send them back to be someone else's memory. However, this one came out of a lake that the DNR is actively drawing down to turn into a duck pond. It is 4000 acres with the deepest hole being 9'. They are drawing it down to 5' and are actively netting Panfish and Crappies and moving them to kid fishing ponds. I have no remorse for keeping what is going to be winter kill come this November. Any other lake and it would of went back in the water instead of pickled ;) It's too bad too. The lake would produce a new record for both Bass and Pike given another year or two.

IMG_0037.jpg

Here is the product I was talking about...at least if the pictures work.
0922091023.jpg
0922091024.jpg

BTW nice fish and that is crazy! I would only think that the length would be a problem for them. But down here in the south we know that Bass will eat other bass along with crappie (big ones too)

Hah, maybe its a small world. I sold my AnchorMate II on craiglist for $30.00 a few weeks back. Did you buy it in the Home Depot parking lot in North Minneapolis?

LOL! yea, that was me. Appreciate any help when you get a chance. It's a low priority though. I'm still working some issues with my motor before it gets too cold. I may get out this weekend. Looks like you're having loads of fun.

I just put Durabak on mine. It is great, stays cool, non slip, not a paint but a poly that stays flexible.

Durabak.jpg

A little more expensive but I like it. You can see it on my boat if you look at the link in my signature.

Bufford in Orlando

P.S. Awesome fish, horrible treatment of the lake by the powers-what-be.

I thought that the durabak was a dirt magnet and would turn brown quickly. Not your experience?

I took the floor out to measure it. This one weighs 34lbs. The rear section is the same size and likely weighs the same.

CIMG2648.jpg

CIMG2649.jpg

First finish coating after wet sanding with 600.

CIMG2646.jpg

Final coat ready for rubbing compound in a few days. Just waiting for the paint to fully cure before I mess with it.

CIMG2650.jpg

CIMG2651.jpg

CIMG2658.jpg

I couldn't remember if the decals I ordered had the front and rear "20" badges so I didn't remove them.

Here is the anchormate pulleys as they where used.

CIMG2655.jpg

And removed

CIMG2657.jpg

$50 bought me all this at a local marine dealer today. The hinges are aluminum and 6'...three of them @ $5 each.

CIMG2652.jpg

danmyersmn,

You're making lots of progress. Nice work on the outboard.

I'm surprised, the floor boards not that heavy at all. I guess my rig isn't too much heavier since the steering console and storage was removed.

Also, thanks for the detailed pics on the pulley and guide. I'm a little concerned about mounting them that low. It seems too close the water line? I will think on it.

Thanks again.

danmyersmn said:
My local dealer has this product at a decent price. I was going to look into it more. Are you happy with it? Would you spend 6 hours standing on it barefoot?
[/quote]

Not only would I but I already do. I have used this on several boats. Including the one in my signature. I have not had any problems with it. I can tell you it will not span a gap that well, but I should have filled the gaps first and then spread this. But that was my fault. Otherwise it is great, and for the price it can't be beat.

jasper60103 said:
danmyersmn,
Also, thanks for the detailed pics on the pulley and guide. I'm a little concerned about mounting them that low. It seems too close the water line? I will think on it.

Thanks again.

Second thought, I may just attached the pulley to the floor board.

jasper60103 said:
jasper60103 said:
danmyersmn,

Thanks again.

Second thought, I may just attached the pulley to the floor board.

They are not as close to the waterline as you may think. If you look at that picture you are not looking at the floor. That is the front casting deck. The front deck is resting on top of the bench seats. That's pretty high above the waterline. If you think it through you will find a good way to mount the setup in your boat that works how you want it too.

jasper60103 said:
Hah, maybe its a small world. I sold my AnchorMate II on craiglist for $30.00 a few weeks back. Did you buy it in the Home Depot parking lot in North Minneapolis?

LOL! yea, that was me. Appreciate any help when you get a chance. It's a low priority though. I'm still working some issues with my motor before it gets too cold. I may get out this weekend. Looks like you're having loads of fun.

:LOL2:
Awesome! :beer:

I thought that the durabak was a dirt magnet and would turn brown quickly. Not your experience?
Nope, not yet. The people I have talked to who use it have not given me any warnings like that at all.

Bufford

Latest posts