Portable Fuel Tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
One of my concerns for putting a back deck on my boat mod is proper ventilation of gasoline fumes. Even though it won't be totally enclosed, the vapor is heavier than air. Won't they sort of hang until the trip home?

Has anyone installed an after-market fuel tank?

Thanks

The portable tanks have a vent in the gas cap. If they are installed under the decking, and there isn't clearance for it to vent, you can buy the little chrome 'vent hoods' from places such as Bass Pro, turn one forward, one backwards, and it will vent the underside.

Another option would be to use standard hull vents. Check out a website Partman.com. It is a local marine distributor near me that will ship anywhere. These vents are used for engine compartments and are also used with small blowers to vent fumes out of an area.

You could also install a standard fuel tank with an external fill neck and vent. tanks like this start at arround 5gal and on up to 200 to 300gal, made of plastic, resin, or alumium (I suggest plastic, it is a thicker material that doesn't corrode and can stand up to the crap fuel they sell us now. all the alcohol in the fuel absorbs water and eats the fiberglass resin tanks).

Any questions, you can pm me. I've been working on boats for about 15 years and have had a "little" expierence with fuel tanks

Latest posts